• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, in china ok, in the US people have a different outlook on reality and some like challenges. No one says you have to dress to meet societie's standard. It is what pleases you. However, would you put yourself on front street in a wild and crazy area that just loves a good fight. Just a thought

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

first of all, the chiese thing is NOT a gi.

secondly, it is not a uniform.

a proper one of those jackets is actually very warm because a proper one is actually (or at least should be) woven silk lined.

Of course, i have a sneaking suspicion that the type of chinese jacket/outfit you're talking about is the generic western (cotton) version of the traditional chinese (black) jacket.

what do i think of someone wearing one as normal every day wear?

to be honest, not a lot. It can serve perfectly well as an everyday jacket.

the real question is why he wears it.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

That is my poiint exactly. I know that this type of dress is the norm if you are in China, but in the US we tend to look at things in the abstract. The Why is always the question. But, Think of how others might think of you in the wrong setting. Doesn't that bring Questions to your mind?

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

actually, people do still wear them. It's by no means the norm but that's not what's being discussed here.

in the case of the guy in this topic, he is an instructor who has the chinese jacket/trousers as a sort of uniform in his school. This guy also wears that uniform outside of the class environment.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Hmmm..... sounds like culture shock to me.

Sigung White

last night at work a small child was wearing a "kung fu" jacket as he was looking through the toys, except it was a winter coat. i don't think he was trying to look like a raging tough guy, i think it's just what he's comfortable in. or rather, what his parents are comfortable with him wearing. some people just like having a connection with their roots. i wear the symbol of my family around my neck every day, not to show the world that i'm a raging irishman, just to show that i've pride in my irish heritage and that it's where i came from. especially here in america; we're a young country yet and don't really have any nationalistic customs or anything of our own, it's nice to be able to connect to something historically.

at anyrate, the small child was quite adoreable :)

oh right, i almost forgot the point: i'd just give the fellow the benefit of the doubt and assumes it's a perfectly nice jacket that he hates to leave hanging in his closet. seems like kind of a waste, y'know?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

We do not have a set uniform or whatever.

I just called it that because thats all i know it as.

He just wears it outside everynow and then.

Its real silk , not cotton.

I was just wondering because i want one to train in and also wear everynow and then because i like them.

The only time I wore my uniform was when I was going to train and then when I left and went straight home. I did not wear it around in public. It was comfortable enough though that I would have, but non Martial Arts people see it as a form of boasting about your training or in some odd way may see it and want to try to pick a fight. Not really worth it I think.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.