• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you all think about wearing a kung fu gi (uniform) out in public?

I know my sifu does ... I heard its just showing off and disrespectful,

I dont think you wont get much attention if you dont show off or anything..

{edit} by gi , i mean just like black n white. kinda like Bruce Lee , no sashes or anything. Nothing odd like red n white.. just mostly black with the white cuffs.

please discuss

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T shirt, black loose baggy pants, sash & sneakers are used in class. For certain public demonstrations the jacket is worn. Jacket colors are black & red with the sleves rolled up to the elbow.

Why would you want people to know you're a skilled Martial Artist? I can think of a million why not.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

i understand being proud of such a great accomplishment, but enjoy it for yourself. people dont need to know of a persons MA status or rank, just no yourself your good.

"you know you good" - Mr. mijagi

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

I don't see how its disrespectful, but it definitely seems silly. He probably thinks people are thinking how hardcore he is, but in actuality they are thinking what a dork he is to wear the uniform around in public like its halloween or something.

Chuck Norris once commented, "There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact, there are none."

mlucasone

along those lines is what i meant, but i think a gi is something sacred in a fashion, and the dojo is one like a church or religious locale. you wouldnt wear a cloak out in public if you were a monk liking in a monestary (kinda the same factor)

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

Wearing a uniform in public is like asking for problems. Maybe you don't care what people think, but then again there are others who will challenge you, and that in itself causes problems, and some legal.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society