• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yin-Yang...

Can someone (anyone) tell me how the yin-yang was developed? i know (i think) it means a balance of earth and the heavens, but how did it originate?

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

where i train, i am tought that yin yang is a way to develope power into kicks and punches through technique. our technique, as far as i understand as a red belt, uses one motion to provide energy and power into another motion. i could be wrong in how i word this i hope i'm not. as far as where it originated from, you would probably do better looking in religious forumns. or just look up yin-yang on any search engine. i find that understanding the purpose rather than the origin is more useful to me in martial arts

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

I think it means good and evil, the white side with a black dot means All good people have a bit of evil in them, and black side with the white dot means that every evil man has a bit of good in them.

This is what I think atleast

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

nice site angelaG. I take from the site its a relationship between day and night, which some (myself now) believe the difference between good (light) and evil (dark). well put in your post Jeet Kune do

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

I think it means good and evil, the white side with a black dot means All good people have a bit of evil in them, and black side with the white dot means that every evil man has a bit of good in them.

This is what I think atleast

no offence but the yin yang (symbol) has a definite history and reasoning behind it. As such, you shouldn't really be give something that you think as a reply because it is esentially not true.

in the time it takes for you to type what you did, you could've instead typed "yin yang" into google and gotten proper information to reply with.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure it was a taoist concept built on the aspect of a mountain. While sun is shining on one side, darkness (shadow) befalls the other. originally it had no dots, then it evolved.

A New Age Dawns

I have heard Ying and Yang, Um and Yang, and Yin and Yang, just depending on the culture. Um and Yang, the Korean equivalent, is representative of heaven and earth, and is a symbol of the constant duality that exists in the universe.

blendings from the farthest ends of each thing. Black/white, sweet/sour, hard/soft, good/bad, etc. the universe needs both. Good without bad cannot exist. Bad without good cannot exist.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

What's in the history of the Yin Yang is confusing. It is believed that the concept came from Taoism, and was introduced by Master Zhuang.

However, there have been connections with this in two other books before Master Zhuang; The Great Appendix and teh Book of Changes which talk of the Yin Yang (also known as the Taijitu from Taiji) and incorporate the Five Elements (Earth, Wind, Fire and Water) with opposites.

After this, Confucianism came in during the period of the Song Dynasty and merged this theory along with Chinese Buddhism and Taoism, pulling only certain aspects about the Yin Yang from only the Book of Changes.

You can tell that I like History! Especially Chinese and Japanese :D :lol:

Hope that clears it up! Any questions?

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi