• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been doing karate for 11 years, and just last year tried my first tournament. Trust me, if you want to compete later, start going to tournaments now. In the couple tournaments I have been to, I could have done far better if I had a lot of experience under my belt (hehe, corny pun). So, to be but a mere echo of the popular opinion, yes, you should go.

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its also a great learning experience. you can check out the other schools and how they do things and find out what youve done right or wrong.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

Go now. The sooner you get the feel for what a tournament is like, the better off you will be. Even if you don't do outstanding, you will get the feel of what it is like to get nervous, and deal with the "stress" of a tournament.

That way, by the time you are higher rank, you can worry about your ring strategies, and not about what the tournament will be like.

I totally agree...start early so you can make mistakes with others at your level and learn from them. Good luck

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Something else to consider would be to get a copy of the tournament rules & regulations before attending. You don't want to be disqualified for doing something small.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

white belt is a good time unless your instructor says otherwise. there should be no shame in losing or making a mistake, it is all a learning experience

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

ditto!!

You're a white belt! That's fantastic!! Promoters made novice divisions with you in mind! Go have fun!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I started at 8th kyu (which was yellow belt). There were several white belts there. I think it's great to get early exposure to other martial artists. You get to meet a lot of people that have at least one thing in common with you. I still compete to this day, but not quite as seriously. I look at is as more of a social gathering of karate-ka than actual competetion.

"On Ko Chi Shin"