• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in the tournaments i go to, white belts do one step kumite and yellow belts and up do freestyle. they must be waering mouthguards and protective gloves. for kata, and level can participate. the only reqirement is that you wear a gi and you trained for at least a couple of months.

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing karate for 11 years, and just last year tried my first tournament. Trust me, if you want to compete later, start going to tournaments now. In the couple tournaments I have been to, I could have done far better if I had a lot of experience under my belt (hehe, corny pun).

I agree!

I entered my first tournament as an orange belt (first colour after white in my system) and enjoyed it, but didn't compete again until I was a purple belt, which meant I was put in a category with the brown and black belts.

I did OK, but if I'd been to a lot more tournaments as an orange and yellow belt and got experience as a lower grade, then carried that experience on through the rest of the coloured belts then I would've known what to expect and probably done better than I did.

So, I'm gonna be a parrot :P and echo what everyone else has said - GO FOR IT!

Oh, and GOOD LUCK! 8)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 1 month later...

I think you should do the tournament so next time you take it at a higher level you will know what youre doing.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• 2 months later...

I think you should start at white, so that you will get used to it.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

Perhaps this is an odd question. Why don't you enter the divison that applies to your current rank. Why would you, as a yellow belt, enter a white belt division. Most every tournament divides it into novice, intermediate, advanced, and black belt. Shouldn't you be in the novice or intermediate division?

Either way, you should compete. It's fun.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this is an odd question. Why don't you enter the divison that applies to your current rank. Why would you, as a yellow belt, enter a white belt division. Most every tournament divides it into novice, intermediate, advanced, and black belt. Shouldn't you be in the novice or intermediate division?

Either way, you should compete. It's fun.

ps1, I've entered a number of tournaments in the mid-Altantic area and the promotors define novice division as all white, yellow, and orange belts grouped together. I have not seen "white belt only division" over in this neck of the woods. Hope that helps.

I agree enter tournaments as early as you can in your training. Its a lot of fun, great experience, and you meet some great people.

DO

I've seen some with white belt divisions- your best bet for that is very very large tournys.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Anybody who has trained under a year is considered a white belt for division purposes regardless of current rank in our tournaments.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1