• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This has been on my mind for quiet some time. I was wonder what belt level you should be at when entering a tournment. Like should you go into tournments atlike white belts or wait and hone your skill when you like a red belt. See because I'm currently a yellow belt and there a tournmant in town and I was wonder should I wait until next tournmant when I be a blue belt and hone my skills or enter it now and get some good experience...

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out the tournaments in the area- some may have white belt divisions. This is a good way to get started. Even, if it doesn't it will still probably have a newbie (yellow and white and maybe one more rank) so I suggest you check out the tounaments and what they have to offer.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You should definitely go! Tournaments are fun and a good way of learning a little about yourself and other styles. Most tournaments always have divisions that begin at white belt. Enter it and have fun! Keep us posted on how you did. Good luck!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Definitely. You're a beginner right now. There's little expectation for you, so there's nothing to really worry about if something goes wrong. I also agree about getting the experience.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I'm a white belt and I entered a kata tournament. I signed up for a weapons kata in addition, thinking it would be fun even though I knew I wouldn't really be at a competetive level.

I think you should go for it if they have a division for you. Even if you don't feel at a competitive level it's good experience!

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll echo the statement. It's a great experience, it can only help you grow in MA, and then by the time you get to the upper ranks, you'll have way fewer butterflies because you know what to expect.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 4 weeks later...

Go now. The sooner you get the feel for what a tournament is like, the better off you will be. Even if you don't do outstanding, you will get the feel of what it is like to get nervous, and deal with the "stress" of a tournament.

That way, by the time you are higher rank, you can worry about your ring strategies, and not about what the tournament will be like.