• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home study??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

methology is based on Ed Parker's attributes and achievement if this is the same "Parker" we are talking about. Chuck Sullivan studied under Mr. Parker for quite awhile.

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

I know of Chuck Sullivan. I read an article by him in The Journey. I know nothing of his work, but I haven't heard anything bad about him, so - I would say go for it.

Of course, I would also have to put in my two cents for my own lineage, so, here they are. ($+$)/100

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

i like what he is trying to do with a "new age" MA system by incorporating a correspondence course to allow those interested who are interested in a specific style can obtain through "home study". I recommend these training videos to anyone who is interested in this format or style, it is completely worth it, and no way a scam, they are for real with the teachings.

https://www.karateconnection.com

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

I don't think anyone ever said that video courses were "a scam" - merely worthless in the absence of a live teacher to critique and correct form issues which are not easily apparent.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

You should consider taking a trip once a month to see a live instructor. That way you would a least get some feedback on a regular basis.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no substitute for training with a live teacher, no doubt. But there are always some who can thrive on their own.

We have a member of our dojo who lives way out in Louisiana in a bayou area that is very difficult to get to. He discovered our sensei on the internet and phoned him and explained he had no dojo nearby, and would he be able to work out an arrangement with sensei to learn karate? So my sensei sent him his book, some video of basic techniques, and asked him to videotape himself and send it to us in Atlanta. This exchange went on for a few years and the gentleman did receive a brown belt this way. He paid for sensei to come visit him a few times to check his form in person.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Personally, I stay away from home study systems. I like to have books for references, but as far as attaining rank by video, well, I feel like that is the ultimate form of the McDojo.