• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Class

Armbar

Hi everyone!

Would the Kyokushin Karateka out there please describe to me what a typical Kyokushin class consits of? What kind of warm ups do you do? Do you spar in every class? how often do you practice kata? whats the average level of contact in class? Please tell me what you know.....

Thanks

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In kyokushin we follow usually the traditional warm up with stretching and all that's included .

If the classes are hold on monday , wednesday and friday than the most common practice system is the following :

Monday : Kihon (basics) and Kata

Wednesday : Kihon combinations - Kumite combinations

Friday :Working the pads and shields and Sparring

We finish every class with pushups, crunches and squats

This is just a basic layout - every dojo has their own way to practice - other things we practice are: self deffense and conditioning

The contact level depends on who's fighting who - we use shin pads and small gloves sometimes to prevent injuryes.

From what I've heard most Kyokushin and Kyokushin-related styles (Enshin, Ashihara, Seido, Oyama, etc) basically follow the pattern Kyospirit describes, i.e. warm-ups, kihon basics from various practice stances, kata and/or kihon combinations, and some conditioning exercises. The bag training and "heavy" sparring are usually done once or twice a week, often in a separate class.

For a typical 90 min class, it goes like this:

Warm-up & stretching 10-15 min

Basics & combinations 10-15 min

Kata 10-15 min

Kick pads, heavy bag 10-15 min

Sparring (start out light progressively increasing in intensity) 30 min

Depending on the day, extra time might be allocated to self-defense, boxing skills, kata, conditioning, etc.

For tournment fighting workouts, they're virtually all about conditioning and fighting. Not for the average karate guy.

thanks for the info you guys.

kyospirit:

You do conditioning at the end of class? So you must start out with some cardio, like jumping jacks and burpees, for warm ups?

everyone:

How many Kyokushin guys from your dojo actually compete in your knock down tournments?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

thanks for the info you guys.

kyospirit:

You do conditioning at the end of class? So you must start out with some cardio, like jumping jacks and burpees, for warm ups?

everyone:

How many Kyokushin guys from your dojo actually compete in your knock down tournments?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

There will be a Full Contact Karate tournament coming up on June 4th in San Francisco, you should check it out: http://www.oyamakarate-sf.com/calendar.htm

Also, here is the training looks like:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-147288876242752783

Thanks for the info on the tournament, I think I might enter it. I'm going to be competing in this kyokushin tournament next month: https://www.seattlekarate.net/tournament.html

If anybody knows of any other knockdown tournaments between june-august let me know, I plan on entering at least 3 this year.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• 2 weeks later...