• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan's Secret

shotokanbeginner

Hello:

Well I am stylist of Shito-ryu Karate, It is known that Funakoshi Sensei when it came to the island Honshu alone knew Katas's couple: Naifanchin and Koshokun (Tekki and Kanku-Dai). When Kenwa Mabuni I come to Tokyo, Sensei Funakoshi went to train with to learn the Katas Heian since he did not know them. After sending to some of his pupils to learn with Sensei Mabuni other Katas and his your applications Bunkai. Mabuni (Shito-ryu) and Miyagui (Goju-ryu) they were the teachers who initiated the development of the formal Bunkai of the Katas that till then did not exist.

Sensei Itosu is not teaching Bunkai only Kata, there existed in those days a group of exercises called Tin Chi Ki (tegumi) which they were practising together with the Katas and that was giving the tools for your brutal application in situations of self-defence.

More information about this you can see in the website of Hanshi Patrick McCarthy:

http://www.society.webcentral.com.au

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another book for great info is Unante The secrets of Karate by John Sells, I just recieved my copy last week and can not put it down.....Pictures, stories and great lineage charts just to name a few things and about 450 pages.

http://www.martialsource.com/

Cheers :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

quote="Killer Miller"]McCarthy looks like a fun person with a lot of character - based on his pictures. I enjoyed looking at the pictures.

- Killer -

I have trained under McCarthy plenty of times and found him to be a fairly good instructor. He is very informative and knows more than anyone on the history of karate related subjects.

He has written plenty of books, the most famous being The Bubishi - Bible of Karate. I recommend you buy that.

Next time i get a giftcard from Amazon.com i 'll buy it.

You have to buy this book. It's a great book. I got it as a gift and found it to be one of the best karate books I've ever read. Reasonable theory with lots of good evidence.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I just read the book a couple days ago and found the theory to be an eye opener. Even if it is wrong it proved its point well enough for me to take a second look at things I previously took for granted. I am starting to gain a deeper understanding of shotokan just by looking harder. The book was a great read, entertaining and could change the way you see things.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

• 3 weeks later...
Their are no secrets...

:o :o :o :o

Now you did it !!!

You just gave out the real secret :roll:

Think of all the money we could have made $$$$$$$$ :wink:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.