• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do all students deserve a blackbelt?

Brian

disabilities should not limit you from attaining a black belt. I believe that it is solely about your own dedication to the art and the information that you learn. My instructor once told me that everyone has their own personal strengths in the martial arts and their own weaknesses. Some people are good at kata and terrible at kicks. But if you show that you understand the technique and execute proper technique regardless of the speed or power behind it i feel that understand that aspect, if i know that you are honestly trying and giving it your all then that tells me that you are true to the art form. I have seen many people overcome handicaps in one form or another and show their dedication by continueing their pursuit to learn and never give up even if the lessons have to be modified personally for you. I have seen a man with no arms have a kata changed to involve kicks instead of punches. I have seen men in wheel chairs learn to manuever their wheelchairs in very interesting ways to execute bo staff katas at tournaments, the list goes on. It is all about you and the art, nothing stands in the way from you and your goal except your own mental barriers that you erect for yourself. That is my opinion at least.

Very true, at the last tournament i went to, a kid in the black belt division had one arm and came 2nd

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a valid arguement to create standards of attainment of all belt grades. Having something like a mental disorder on my own, the hardest thing on my mind is to prove that it is a simple situational assessment problem and not say a general condemnation of my ability to size up something like estabishing the proper proceedure to deal with a common problem that often happens.

I would suggest a grading system that shows that a person is able to handle each skill level. If someone is damaged before a serious test, the person should be able to reschedule. If you have a more perminant disability, one should consider both alternative tests and the possibility that you can not get past a certain level of skill due to your problem.

This is a difficult question for me to discuss.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

Everyone has the potentail to become a great blackbelt, its whether they want it that matter

I fully agree with this. In other words, not everyone will be a blackbelt or should be one. Only those who earn it should. And as you state, you have to want it. And I think you really need to want it bad enough to work hard for it to get it.

I think it would be very sad if someone joined a dojo with great expectations and was never promoted to black belt despite their efforts. What if you had an individual who may not be the most physically athletic indivdual, but attended as many classes as possible, tried harder than most, and continued to strive to be better. Are you saying he/she is not worthy of advancing in a style as opposed to the very athletic individual who may have great technique, but shows lack of enthusiasm or loyalty. I know everyone in here knows of or has trained in a dojo where this situation has occurred. There are people who are talented in every sport they have done and it comes by easy for them. There are people who no matter how hard they try, they are just lack something. We are not setting our school up to produce warriors. We are providing a place for individuals to better theirselves in many different areas. Hopefully, they learn to defend themselves in any given situation. But because one person's technique even after years of hard training hasn't been as good as another's, who am I to tell him/her that they aren't good enough to wear a piece of black cloth. Being a black belt comes from inside too. At Nidan, I certainly do not believe my technique is perfect. If it was, why would I try so hard to get better.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think everyone here is showing that there is a general consesus that a black belt can be obtained by anyone regardless of disability, age etc. If a student puts in commitment, dedication and a passion for the art they study then I believe anyone is worthy of black belt.

I would like to think that down the line I will be able to pass shodan with pride, and show my sensei' that I have listened to and learned what they teach. Granted I will probably never be a top athlete but I hope that they will appreciate how hard I have worked to attain that level.

:)

Karate Ni Sentinashi