• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do all students deserve a blackbelt?

Brian

Thanks for all the replies so far. In forums like these any question has probably been asked in one form or another many times. Inevitably,it will come up again.

Some of you talked of worthiness,but who is worthy and for what reason?

I think the blackbelt test comes in the many years of training beforehand and the 'test' is just a formality.

How important is physical ability compared to mentality?

In this life of mine I have seen nothing, known nothing or no one,not even myself or my God,that has not been both hard and soft.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the concept of Shodan is that the student has learned enough so that one can really start learning. It's a beginning. Not a middle or an end. Each style is a bit different in what they expect. In Japan the Shodan rank is no big deal at all.

As for worthyness that is for the instructor to decide I would think.

You are right on target when you said that the test is a formality. I know some who have never formally taken a Shodan test. When your there your there.

As for physical vs mental ability and the importance of each when compared with the other...there probably needs to be a mix of both and a minimum level of ability. 100% of one and 0% of the other is not a pass.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

This is an age old question, picked over in another thread.

If the person can consistently beat every person in the school, and it is shown that they are applying techniques from higher ranks, then there is a slight chance...1 percent...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

This is an age old question, picked over in another thread.

If the person can consistently beat every person in the school, and it is shown that they are applying techniques from higher ranks, then there is a slight chance...1 percent...

I'm not following. A slight chance of what? Are you saying it is mostly physical?

Should you promote someone who does not progress despite their efforts?

In this life of mine I have seen nothing, known nothing or no one,not even myself or my God,that has not been both hard and soft.

• 2 weeks later...

"they would have to prove black belt level skill to achieve any advanced level." I thought a black belt meant you knew the basics (along with the attitude, dedication etc..) I would think it depends on the persons dedication and attitude.

Depends on the problem the person has. For example my wife was born with a rare birth defect taht effects her balance and causes her to get dizzy very quickly and for no reason except a slight movement. She has still persevered to work around her problem. So things such has ukemi in particular rolls she teaches them instead of doing them. She can do them but then she is out of commission for about 5 minutes per one roll. So in a case like this I would. I the person as a certain learning disability that effects their coordination I would take that into consideration as long as that person was putting in their 110% best effort.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I find some of the posts on this topic to be kind of disturbing. It seems like people are saying that a person's physical skill is a measure of their dedication to the martial arts.

I suffer from severe juvenile onset arthritis, as well as other medical problems, which makes it difficult for me to perform in certain aspects of my training. However the fact that I have physical limitations has absolutely nothing to do with my dedication to karate - I train 4-5 nights a week at the dojo and practice at least an hour every day at home. I train very hard because karate is not easy for me, so I need to work harder. But I will never be at the level of someone athletic not suffering from my condition.

According to what some of you are saying, apparently I'm not worthy of a black belt. My dedication and love for martial arts means nothing...because my medical condition restricts my "physical skill"?

Personally I find that kind of low...

disabilities should not limit you from attaining a black belt. I believe that it is solely about your own dedication to the art and the information that you learn. My instructor once told me that everyone has their own personal strengths in the martial arts and their own weaknesses. Some people are good at kata and terrible at kicks. But if you show that you understand the technique and execute proper technique regardless of the speed or power behind it i feel that understand that aspect, if i know that you are honestly trying and giving it your all then that tells me that you are true to the art form. I have seen many people overcome handicaps in one form or another and show their dedication by continueing their pursuit to learn and never give up even if the lessons have to be modified personally for you. I have seen a man with no arms have a kata changed to involve kicks instead of punches. I have seen men in wheel chairs learn to manuever their wheelchairs in very interesting ways to execute bo staff katas at tournaments, the list goes on. It is all about you and the art, nothing stands in the way from you and your goal except your own mental barriers that you erect for yourself. That is my opinion at least.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Thats right your physical issues should have nothing to do with whether you make it to black belt or not. It should not measure dedication. I am visually impaired and was born completely blind. With a lot of prayer and a miracle I have some sight. My wife has a structural ear diease which basically means she was born with missing bone under her left ear. This is the bone that helps people not become dizzy when pressure in the human head increases. So she gets dizzy alot but she is still a good martial artist.

Those that may think otherwise please spend some time with students that have problems of some sort and see how hard many work to get something down that may never happen to what some full standard may be but the dedication alone is worth it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 3 weeks later...