• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which kata?

just a question, which kata do you think i should do at this tournament i got in 2 weeks?

bassai dai, bassai sho, or jion

thanks for your feedback

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I didn't get that far in TSD, but I always liked to watch both bassai's (never saw jion, or I didn't realize I did when I did see it). I probably won't be much help, but I liked Bassai dai better (by the looks of it).

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely do Bassai Dai. Sho and Jion are too short of kata for a tournament. Bassai Dai is highly respected among Karate practitioners. I have placed high in tournaments with this kata. Good luck and keep us posted.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Bassai Dai is one of my favorite katas bar none for tournament use. Jion is a excellent kata even though its short still a excellent kata in my opinion. However some don't understand it fully. Bassai Sho is not a great tournament kata given the angles and how short it is.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

being an official judge at many tournaments for the past 8 yrs or so i would say basai dai.

IF you execute the kata very well then that is the best kata to do. Of all the katas basai dai is regarded in the highest tier due to the nature of the kata and its vital differences from earlier forms, in nearly all styles basai is considered to be an upper level or black belt form. If you do it sloppy don't do it, but if you give basai dai its true potential you will have yourself a winning form. i performed basai back in feb at the all pacific tournament which included bases all over japan, korea, hawaii and some people from the states and china that flew over to japan to witness and compete. By executing the form with high levels of intensity, power and proper speeds at all the right times i did very well with that form and was personally praised by many of the distinguished guests in attendance.

that was also the same tournament where i won in the breaking division...but that is another story. SO my advice is to go with basai dai and do it well!

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• 2 weeks later...

oh sorry i forgot to post the results. i actually did pyung ahn sah dan (i believe its the korean form of pinan yandan) and i took first place

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

oh sorry i forgot to post the results. i actually did pyung ahn sah dan (i believe its the korean form of pinan yandan) and i took first place

Exellent.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn