• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question to see if a Dojo is a McDojo or not.

Budman

if you plan on going for black belt and higher then you need to check out the instructors rank. I noticed on your first site that the two instructors listed only held a 1st dan and a 2nd dan respectively. You don't want to get into a situation where there is nothing else your instructor can teach you because you have reached their rank and level of knowledge

By the time he reached the rank of Black Belt, don't you think the 2nd Dan would have progressed as well? It would be many years (a decade or more) before a new student "catches up" to 2nd Dan instructor (assuming the instructor is still training and progressing).

I started teaching a few years ago when I was a 2nd degree BB. Now my first group of students is about to test for Black Belt, and I have been a 3rd degree for a year. I still have much to teach them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

true, but i'm just stateing the fact that some instructors don't care about rank after they reach black belt and quit their own progression, or that this school may be a "mcdojo" by showing the fact that there isn't a higher ranking individual for their instructors to seek guidance from. But on a standard basis where the instructors continue their training as if the were stilll students you are absolutely correct and the instructor in the worst case scenario should be at least one step above their students. There are also some schools that come to mind where the instructor can only hand out promotions and belt rank at one half of their own level. Example would be that a second dan can only promote one to a first dan or a 6th dan could only promote a student to 3rd dan.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger