• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

mtheiss

I am in the mind now to ask what you all think a respectable instructor should do if he sees his star lady ready for a knockout sparring match, but plans not to tell her a thing before the big event just is slammed in her face moments before the match.

What should he do with her in the last several weeks and days before the match in ways where you think you do not think he will tip her off.

Martin

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There was a post similar to this one not long ago. I don't understand why an instructor would allow his student to go into a match without prior knowledge. It can only benefit the student to know the type of fighter he or she will be facing. Does the fighter primarily kick-- with what foot--does he or she primarily do punching---takedowns? This isn't a street fight. It is one experience fighter fighting another. Knowledge is key. He is setting her up to fail. Not fair.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Hi you two,

I confess I did post something reciently about the same topic, but then I did not anticipate the normal karate class practice is to train several students together who can practice spar when there is a tournament coming up. However, what I did anticipate this time is a situation where there is a genuine situation where one student is trained by a coach and the coach decides to spring a match on her without warning.

I guess this should be a learning experience for me after all, thank you.

Martin

Thanks for the message mtheiss. I still feel that setting someone up without their prior knowledge of the fight is a poor idea. It is a different situation when you come to class and spar for awhile against students in your dojo. It is another when you align a match against two individuals with great experience. Is the other fighter aware of the match? That would be even more of a disadvantage if he did and was prepared to fight when she isn't. Even boxers have prior knowledge of their opponent and get specific training to fight that opponent before heading into a match. This also doesnt sound like tournament fighting where the first person to 3 points wins. Let me know what happens.

Not all legitimate training centers in my experience suscribe to the "3 point format" which you refer to. Niether do they figure it is appropriate to refrain from shoving a fighter into the ring (if there is one!). I do admit I have a unique autism-related disorder which gives me insight into real world decisions which some people like you dismiss as being either crazy or not appropriate for mainline thinkers.

I have responded to a private message from Pineapple about some of his sensei concerns, but of course I would like to ask for some information from you too. I know most training centers do not invest in the traditional 20 by 20 ring, and leave their sparring matches to "the mat". Still, I rationalize that outsiders like me have a lot to learn about this subject, and I am eager and willing to handle this like a man if you would be interested in a short diologe into this form of thinking.

Your friend,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Osu, any instructor, trainer who does not inform their student of the strengths and tactics of their opponents is not only a very inexperienced teacher or mentor, but is also a disgrace to the martial arts in general.

This is one of the responsibilities of each instructor as this can make the difference in winning the bout or getting injuried, its as simple as that.

The martial arts must be transperant with no secrets so too speak, and if the instructor does not have the experience or charecter to work with their students when it comes to competition, particularly full contact then i feel that they should leave it to those that know what they are doing.

Extremely well put Sensei Mark. I wouldn't think highly of an instructor who did this. In fact, I would probably lose trust in him/her if it was done to me.