• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching Teenagers

When teaching teens (alliteration, hehe :) ), there are two things that are important. Firstly, make sure that you integrate the aspect of the successful warrior avoiding fights, not getting into them, along with using peaceful methods (ie your voice) to subdue an aggressor. That also applies to any MA student, but especially to teens which are worth worrying about. Secondly, and this is very important, if you talk to/treat a teenager like an adult, and if you hold them to the standards of an adult, 9 out of 10 they will step up and act like an adult.

Good Luck,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When teaching teens (alliteration, hehe :) ), there are two things that are important. Firstly, make sure that you integrate the aspect of the successful warrior avoiding fights, not getting into them, along with using peaceful methods (ie your voice) to subdue an aggressor. That also applies to any MA student, but especially to teens which are worth worrying about.

This is so true. Recently I had a student who is pretty senior in the Kyu ranks say that he patience was thinner since he gained some rank. What we talked about is how after a few years, a student learns quite a bit and knows that they're starting to be pretty good. This is a very dangerous time as they know enough to hurt someone but also don't have the many years that humble someone. In other words, I think it's normal for all Martial Artist to go through stages. Some come in wanting to learn to fight, others are pretty passive and want to defend themselves. Folks calm down after training awhile, then get edgy as they progress. Finally as they get more experience they learn to seek inner peace and become a true martial artist. Now, this is just my observation, and it's very general. Anyone notice similar trends.

The people I trust the least in technique lines/sparring are intermediate to recently advanced students (green-brown). They know enough to hurt me if I let them, or hurt other students, but not enough to know how not to hurt someone. It's a fine line, and something that comes with years and years of training and practice.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 1 month later...

In our school, we try to relate to our students when and where to practice their arts. We tell them to use their heads, and think about what they are doing. By bragging about the MA they practice, they may bring unwanted attention upon themselves. Also, practicing with people outside of the school without experience can lead to injuries, and unwanted scorn from the head instructor.

I think all you can do is teach them the best you can. But when it comes down to it you cant stop every student from misbehaving. Once people reach teenage and adulthood they have their own way of seeing things and its not easy to change.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

I think all you can do is teach them the best you can. But when it comes down to it you cant stop every student from misbehaving. Once people reach teenage and adulthood they have their own way of seeing things and its not easy to change.

I like to say, "I wish I knew now what I knew when I was a teenager."

:)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Respectfully, and with much humility, I say how much I loathe it when people say that. Please don't stereotype all of us by some of us, sir.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Respectfully, and with much humility, I say how much I loathe it when people say that. Please don't stereotype all of us by some of us, sir.

What stereotype? I was speaking only of myself. I did indeed think I knew more then than I really did. As I have gotten older and hopefully wiser, I realize how little I do know--its a fascinating paradox.

Wouldn't be presumptious to speak for you or anyone else.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I’ve taught many classes before, but all of my classes were either experienced adults or new kids. I know how to tell kids not to abuse it, but teenagers and young adults are “too old to listen”.

Teens and young adults aren't "too old to listen" - you just have to know how to make them listen. Yes, they are rebellious by nature, but they can be kept in check.

Here's something that's out of the typical TMA school style of thought, but beat them. seriously. There are few things more humbling than getting your butt kicked repeatedly by various people. Why? because you find out that regardless of how many people you beat, there are still those out there who can school you.

Train them - but try to get them into competition. For those who aren't interested, then when they get to the sparring stages, make sure they have access to people they cannot beat.

The wonderful thing that I've discovered teaching teens is we get to be the "cool" people in their lives ;) unlike (no offence) teachers or parents they are choosing to come and learn from us (at least in most cases). And with that it makes teaching them what we deem important (and WHY it's important) all that much easier.

I've found that teaching teens (and anyone really) the why behind everything makes them that much more willing to listen.. and adopt for themselves.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt