• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Constitutes a Good Instructor?

A good instructor has integrity.

A good instructor doesn't believe they are 100% correct about everything.

A good instructor understands his craft.

A good instructor is fair.

A good instructor knows when to push and when to back off.

A good instructor practices what they preach.

A good instructor is motivating.

A good instructor knows the history of his art.

A good instructor holds himself to a higher standard.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good instructor should be able to do several different things. Teaching is an obvious one.

An instructor should be able to aptly demonstrate techniques for demonstration purposes. One does not have to kick high to kick proper.

An good instructor has to be able to relate to all different kinds of people. Kids, adults, and even older adults and those with disabilities.

Everyone learns differently. An instructor must have good teaching methods, and be able to alter them when the situation arises. An instructor has to be able to help everyone "get it".

Good instructors have to be able to think on their feet.

time for my 2 cents..

I agree with the obvious things that have been said already.

You have to be able to relate to people well I think.

This is one thing that is hard to explain, but i'll try..

I think in addition to what's been said..a good instructor knows when to have "drill sgt" mode as well as "pat on the back, nice work" mode. Its a fine line but he needs to be gentle some days, firm on others. I think a good instuctor has to realize he does not know all..but be willing to share what he does know, with the commitment that he continues to learn as well,whether its attending camps, reading, seminars, etc.

also, just be honest. don;t pretend to be something you aren't, know more than you know, or glorify yourself.

remain humble, have charisma, stay paitent, keep classes interesting..

these are some of the characteristics i believe signify a good instructor.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Excellent answers. Thanks to everyone so far.

What about the issue of teaching from a curriculum or teaching what the student wants to learn? I know that this can vary and depends on circumstances. If a student comes in and is not interested in a lifelong journey to Black Belt, would a “good Instructor” turn him away or adjust to meet his needs and interests?

Teaching from a curriculum is OK, ie, forms systems, one-steps, self-defense techniques. I have never had a problem with testing requirements like these. Varied classes, however, I feel help to keep the interest of students, and prevents burn-out.

At my school, we have "traditional" classes, and then "extra" classes. Some of the extra classes are for kicking and sparring, or self-defense exclusively. But the traditional classes, which are required about twice a week, are the same class each time: basics for warm-up (always the same), then forms, then one-steps, then sparring, if time allows.

I have felt burned-out over the last 6 months, but I keep going to class. The monotonous "traditional" classes really wear on me sometimes.

So far everyone sounds good.. But I also know that there are things that I can teach people that I myself cannot do correctly. I think that is a good instructor. My reason for not being able to do some of the techniques is because of my physical make-up (my hips won't allow it and it causes major pain and dislocation) but I still know all the technique involved and can teach anyone how to correctly perform it.

I also think that being able to explain the "why" behind the technique is important. I can't count the number of times my students have asked "what possible reason would I ever use this, or would this be effective?"

And of course patients.. and a sense of humor.. I always find enjoyment when a student does something incorrectly a totally new way! :lol: but it also helps them when they get upset or frustraited.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

I think one of the things that is key for an instructor is to be able to relate the material in a way that each student understands it. This means being able to recognize and utilize different learning styles.

Some people learn by watching and imitating. Others need "hands on". Others can look and absorb, some are more technical, etc.

That is one of my strengths when I am instructing computer stuff, is I have an ability to break it down into terms that are comprehensible to the layman.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

i dont think just because you can't do a technique, doesn't mean you can't teach it.

i don;t see these over 60 nfl coaches getting layed out by a 300 lb running back, but they still know how to teach the drills.

i don;t see phil jackson dunking like jordan and kobe, but he still knows how to teach the game.

same difference inmy opinion

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

A good instructor knows the history of his art.

I dunno about this one. That depends on what you're after. I know more about muay thai than my coach - my background was from a more traditional standpoint, where as his was purely competitive. However, because the time I spent learning tradition, he spent fighting, he is light years ahead of me, though I can hang with him. Even though we both fight, he was fighting way more because that was the sole motivation behind the gym he trained at. Since we both coach at the same school now, he will defer to me and another guy who had the same instructors as me on questions about tradition.