• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Did You Open a School?

I am going to begin teaching within the next month, as I recevied my black belt March 28th. I'm doing so because my sensei is retiring and passing the torch on to me.

another reason i want to teach is because i think kids now-a-days need something positive. There is much to gain from martial arts besides self defense. I want to preserve the art and be a good influence for someone. my Sensei always proveded a "shoulder to lean on" offer advice, etc outside of class, and i want to give someone hope. Plus some supplemental income for doing something you love is always a bonus too :)

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

to be honest i have always wanted to teach. i have had several teaching positions, but the story of my taking on the role of martial arts instructor is a sad one. as i was nearing time for shinza my instructor upped and became a pacifist. as i was doing an internship i was familiar with all the teaching materials and practices and whatnot so i kept it up to the end of the school year (i was at the time senior student and assistant teacher at a branch of my martial art based in the high school i graduated from). i held a shinza towards summer time where i invited a 3rd dan to come out and make sure i was doing everything right. he gave me a huge confidence boost when he told me i was doing great. i even promoted a few of my students to middle kyu! everyone was so excited about the club they asked me to continue it for a while. i considered that they would have to travel to seattle to get classes in the same style and took it upon myself to try to pass the torch on to others.

the saddest part of this story is the fact that although many of my students have shown great potential they have all quit and/or moved away until i myself have now been relocated without a serious student left to me. i still teach (just on saturdays now) but my hope of teaching someone the depth of goju ryu karate that has been shared with me is now a bitter, un-fulfilled dream.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

I don't have my own school, but I have a club at the K-12 school I work for. I love aikido and the culture and history that surrounds it. Besides, I get a kick out teaching aikido to Japanese in Japan.

I don't have my own school, but I have a club at the K-12 school I work for. I love aikido and the culture and history that surrounds it. Besides, I get a kick out teaching aikido to Japanese in Japan.

That's really great. I'd love to take some time to train and teach in Japan. I'd love to view Mt Fuji with my own eyes before the snowcaps disappear completely in a few years.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu