• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Did You Open a School?

I know most of the cliché reasons that people decide to teach martial arts. My question is what was the actual reason that made you decide to open a school and/or start teaching? Was there any one specific reason or event that you knew for sure that you wanted to teach?

Thanks,

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I originally opened my school simply because my friends kept asking me to teach them, however, now I teach because I want to leave something behind with the next generation.

What works works

I had been training for over 15 years and teaching part-time at my instructor's school for the past several years. Teaching was not only rewarding, but improved my own martial arts skills in ways that training alone could not do.

A little over a year ago I just decided it was time to "live the dream" and do what I love for a living. What a great choice! Being a MA instructor is the best job you can have. I have a positive impact on so many lives, my skills are better than ever, and my teenage sons come to work with me.

Oh, yea, not having a boss is pretty cool too.

• 1 month later...

I can just never seem to get away from teaching. Pretty much everywhere I go (and stay for a bit) they findout I'm in the martial arts and start questioning.. then it's proceeded by dumb male jokes (no offence to anyone) and then I get asked to teach. Which, I would rather teach then do nothing.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

• 2 weeks later...

Our reason was really simple to start with, my Father wanted to run his own dojo under his previous instructor, but due to his ego problem, he didn't want anyone starting their own dojo under him (despite the fact that my Father ran the school for about 6 weeks of the year).

So, he decided to find his own way.

We've now had our school for 9 years.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

My sensei has desired for someone to start a branch of our dojo in another part of the community and has suggested to me that I could take on such a task. My goal is to create an afterschool program for the kids to create interest in traditional Okinawan karate-do through the schools.

There is a Shotokan dojo that offers a program now in our county, and I believe we can do the same. I may also introduce Thai kickboxing as well.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I started a club because I wanted the experience, and I wanted to pass Shotokan on to other people.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I opened my school in order to bring the gift of martial arts to a community lacking in programs to teach value and respect. I think everyone should have the opportunity to learn martial arts regardless of where they live or how much money they have so I keep my rates low (enough to cover expenses).

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

There was no Isshinryu in my home town and I was traveling two hours away each friday to train with my instructor. I started a school to have people to train with.

Originally I trained in my house but eventually got the opportunity to use our church's gymnasium. It is now five years since we started teaching and I have 75 students and I have promoted 10 students to black belt.

Since I get the building for free, I only charge 10 bucks a month. (most of that goes to our church) It really is an ideal set up.