• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long does it take to master this style?

How many years does it usually take for someone to master a fighting style. I know it depends on the style so lets say thai kwan do how long does it usually take to master this style?

one_with_fire_rusioka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In most systems someone is deemed "Master" at 4th dan. How long does that take in TKD? Depends on the TKD. Unfortunately I knew a 2nd dan in some type of TKD who was 13 and had been practicing for like 4 years...

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

It takes a life time ;) But to become somewhat competent in an art (depending on the art) about 4 to 6 years (for BB). Master level also varies. Eventhough you could learn good self defense skills earlier (again, depending on the style).

Laurie F

Typically for a Uechi student it takes 4-5 years to earn Shodan. To master the art it takes a minimum of 15 more years so you're looking at at least 20 years. We consider a master a 5th degree black belt. And as someone else said, it really takes a lifetime to master. Just because you've achieved rank doesn't mean that you're mastered the art. Everyone goes through stages where they improve, and when they find new things to improve. It's just normal. For instance, Sanchin is a farly easy kata to learn the moves, but it's very difficult to master. The better you get the more internal it becomes and the more you have to work to master it, a process that takes a whole lifetime.

There are no masters in life only students.

To re-phrase, how long does it take to be proficent in a certain art, is a much more digestable question. Guess that depends on the person, is he/she a natural fighter, a good learner, etc...

Be like water my friend!!

In most systems someone is deemed "Master" at 4th dan. How long does that take in TKD? Depends on the TKD. Unfortunately I knew a 2nd dan in some type of TKD who was 13 and had been practicing for like 4 years...

what is dan?

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

what is dan?

sorry- degree

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

what is dan?

Lower ranks in most (all?) Okaniwan and Japanese styles are Kyu, and Gup in Korean (If I'm not mistanken). Dan are the black belt ranks. So you can think of Dan as the level of the black belt. 1 Dan - 1st degree, 2 Dan = 2nd Degree, etc.

In my TKD school it takes at least 3 years to reach BB (it took me 4 years). After that, the general rule is if you're a 1st dan, it takes at least 1 year before you'll be eligible for 2nd dan, then at second dan it takes 2 years to become eligible for 3rd dan, then 3 years, etc. Keep in mind that this rule only applies if you train regularly. There requirements for the number of classes you must attend, and there are a number of tests in between dan levels that must be completed as well. Master is considered 4th dan, so if you keep to the ideal schedule, it takes at least 9 years to reach 4th Dan. There are also age requirements for becoming a master, but I'm not sure what they are.

Since my training has crossed a few different styles, and I took about a five year break from formalized TKD training (in a dojang with one instructor) after getting my first dan. I decided to study other MAs during this time, so my total MA experience amounts to about 11 1/2 years, but I'm only a second dan in TKD, and far from a master in any style.

To contrast TKD with another art: BJJ on the other hand takes far longer just to reach BB. About 10 years by most standards I've heard. I'm not sure how the structure works after you get a BB in BJJ. I don't know what standards you'd have to meet to be considered a master in this art, but I'm sure it takes a lifetime. I must agree with the other posters that regardless of the structure and standards put in place by any organization, if you really want to be a master of anything, you need to dedicate your whole life to it. I think a real master is someone who can remain open minded enough to realize that they can never be perfect at what they do, and that the 'art' in what they do is having the discipline to keep moving forward towards perfection, even though they know they can never fully reach this goal. In my mind, it's more about mastering yourself than your activity. I guess this is an expansion on bruceflea's "There are no masters in life, only students." great quote. :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

as said before mastering something takes a lifetime. It would seem to me that master rank is more like master teacher. When you earn this rank it menas you have brought your skill to such a place that someone learning from you will be able to take away a great deal of knowledge. I do not think it necessarily means you have absolutely mastered anything.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War