• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin Ryu or Goju Ryu

jeff5

Hello, first post! I have the opportunity to study Isshin or Goju. I'm not sure which to pick. My goals are mainly personal development and self defense. I know there are some similar kata between the systems, and they are taught in different orders. Besides that what are the differences between the systems? (I know Isshin has more of a vertical punch and some more natural stances) Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More cosmetic then anything, choose based on which instructor you like more, not what a bunch of people say the differences are on a website. The Goju people will say there's is better, the Isshinryu will do the same. Really, there is not much difference, as there is as much variation between 2 of the same style schools and 2 different style schools (at least when the styles are that simmilar)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

IsshinRyu is partially based in GojuRyu. IsshinRyu karate was developed from ShorinRyu and GojuRyu. That is why they share a couple kata. I would go with the advice mentioned above. Visit both schools, see if they have a two week try-out period to see if you like it. Try each one, and make your decision.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Well put....If you have the chance, after you visit the dojo's...try to research the sensei for both and then you can make the best choice. Styles don't matter much (my opinion) but the sensei and dojo are the best way to go!! Good luck and let us know what you choose. (Isshin Ryu would be my guess!! :D )

IsshinRyu is partially based in GojuRyu. IsshinRyu karate was developed from ShorinRyu and GojuRyu. That is why they share a couple kata. I would go with the advice mentioned above. Visit both schools, see if they have a two week try-out period to see if you like it. Try each one, and make your decision.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I myself have studied Goju-Ryu for many years, I would base my choices on where to study based on the teacher, class size, as well as the attitude of the other students. I find Goju-Ryu to be a well-rounded art.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

More cosmetic then anything, choose based on which instructor you like more, not what a bunch of people say the differences are on a website. quote]

Good idea.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 2 weeks later...

i myself take go ju ryu i am not familiar with isshin ryu but a can tell you that i am happy with the style i am doing the forms are focused alot on breathing and blocking but it gets more interesting the more u go on

Goju Ryu offers so much to the practioner strength training, body conditioning, some excellent kata, self defense is typically very good at least of what I have seen out of Goju Ryu schools I have competed against. I do not know a great deal about Isshin Ryu though I have not had a lot of exposure to it. Just be prepared for your legs to hurt from the stances at first if you choose Goju Ryu. But it is a system that I am interested in and respect very much.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I have seen Isshin Ryu people perform quite a bit at tournaments, but I myself have never trained in it. All I really know about it is that they punch a lot with the vertical punch (which is a close-in type of punch that is quick-doesn't have the full twist that most karate punches have) I've seen excellent Isshin Ryu performances, poor Isshin Ryu performances and everything in between. Overall, it seems to be more like Goju Ryu than say, Shotokan, in that Isshin and Goju are both Okinawan systems. Given these choices, I would make my decision based on factors other than the style, such as the location of the dojo, the cost of classes, your impressions of the instructor, and which school seems to cater more to what you want most out of karate. (do you want self defense, fitness competition or do you simply want to have fun learning something new?)

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry