• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reverse roundhouse kick

Hart

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just used one in my last kumite. After planting several side kicks into his gut, he turned sideways to avoid the sidekick so the next time I started out the same way and when he turned to avoid the side kick, he was shocked to find that he turned his body right into the reverse roundhouse. Unfortunately he dipped a little at the same time and instead of hitting him in the upper chest, I hit him in the head, and gota talking down from the sensei as we weren't supposed to make head contact. So yes it can be effective. As for help with the execution, I'm not sure what your problem is, so I don't know if I can help you. For me, I find it easier to do than alot of other kicks. For me, it's an easier kick than a normal roundhouse.

If you're reaching for the stars, don't be satisfied with touching the ceiling.

Is a reverse roundhouse like a hook kick?

A hook kick is where you pretty much do a side kick (without quite the force) to a point 5 or 6 inches to the side of your opponent's head (to the same side that your knee is pointing), then pull your heel back into their head (here is where you put in the force:)).

If not, what is it like?

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Do you mean a mawashi geri with your rear leg? Yes, it's easier to throw this vs. the lead leg mawashi geri. In fact some people can't really throw the lead leg, they switch stance which is pretty lame. If you can get the lead leg down you can land it a lot more then the rear leg.

Over the last few years I have focused a lot on doing my lead leg roundhouse...but I usually throw a muay thai roundhouse(dtae) much more then a karate(mawashi geri)roundhouse because I have a lot more power in my dtae. I land head/neck kicks much more when I'm using my lead leg vs. my rear and I have almost the same ammount of power but yes, I am a little more powerful with my rear and if you can explain what your problem is I can perhaps help you.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

So which on is it? Back leg Roundhouse OR Reverse Roundhouse? And how come we don't know this already....? :S

Though I can't seem to get Out of the habit of Sparring with my lead leg. It's faster then attemping the extra distance and displaying an extra motion, allowing a counter from your aponent. Faster you can get that foot up to their head, less they will see coming.

Reverse Roundhouse is not something I have been able to Practice yet.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

I was talking about the hook kick. I just can't seem to even do it at chest level.

When i teach hook/heel/reverse round kick, I find it is easier for them to learn by kicking a target (such as a clapper), or even someones palm (lightly ofc). Perhaps this will help. Also it might help if you think of it as making a small circle(or part of a circle) in the air with your foot. A common problem is also to drop the knee, try and keep your knee up and facing sideways, not downwards. Another tip might be, when you throw the kick, make sure your body is sideways, otherwise it won't come out right.

Maybe one of these will help.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

How high can you do a side kick? One common method of teaching the hook kick it to aim a side kick off to the side and then pull your leg across.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

kicking a target/heavy bag/clapper is a good idea, so someone can keep an eye on your knee angle, hight etc.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Not quite sure what your problem is, but let me walk you through as I do the kick. Sorry if I am too elementary. (Not sure what your level is) If I am kicking with my right heel, I would cross step behind the right foot making sure that the toes of my left foot are pointed directly behind me. Hard to have any balance if those toes aren't pointed in the correct direction.

As I cross stepped, you'll notice that you have built up some "torque" in your body. Allow your elbow to help drive the upper body through the kick, which will drive the heel towards your target with power.

I hope I was clear and I hope this helped.

dtfrank

Temecula, CA