Longest Kata?

Whitefeather

How many stance changes?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many stance changes?

• 10-30
    • 30-50
    • 50-70

I once read actually that for a certain style of kendo, certain samurai to be would have to preform a day long kata which added up to be about 2750movements. Along with other grueling tests, such as in the least grueling test, a 250 consecutive sparring session with the other students, I'm not sure of the details though.

This style doesnt exist I dont think anymore.

It never existed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have also gone thru Nipaipo

Yahh, I am working on Nipaipo as a turnament kata right now, it is definately crazy, and, if I may say so myself, extroadinarily cool, except for the lack of jumps.

The longest kata I do right now-and in my style as far as I know-happens to be Kyoku-Shichidan. I added it up to be about 75 stance changes, with a rather difficult to count, and, quite coincidently, very very large number of hand movements. I have heard that it is decently longer than Suparempi (I hope that is spelled without pungent error :( ). I also do a certain crane kata called Haku Tsuro Kumimora (which I would presume is the same as "Kunimura no Hakutsuru"), and I KNOW that it is not longer than Kyoku Shichidan or Suparempi, so y'all and meeself are probably using different measuring method. For the record, I know the longest kata :brow: .

PS

Hey johnnymac, you should upload that video!

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Kendo (or rather kenjutsu) doesn't have long kata. Generally, kata of koryu bujutsu are very short and usually done with partner. There are some solo kata, but they're very short, too. Long forms are typical to Chinese martial arts, as well as Okinawan arts - which probably took their form concept from Chinese arts.

"Samurai to be" is a weird expression as well. One was born into a samurai class, there wasn't a test included.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Well, it will make you feel better Menjo, it would make a great tale, story, movie or something...

- Killer -

ummm ok, I got it from a book so I'm not going to argue it. It might have been just a tale or something.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

If the link to the Kunimura no Hakutsuru kata is available that would just warm me to no end. I would really like to see it. The longest kata I know (empty hand) is Kushanku.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Hakutsuru is the longest kata I have ever seen but one of the most beatuiful to watch when done correctly. I got to see Hanshi George Alexander perfom Hakutsuru on a couple of occasions and I was amazed.

The longest one I know personally is Kanku Dai or in the Okinawan systems Kusanku.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Hakutsuru is the longest kata I have ever seen but one of the most beatuiful to watch when done correctly. I got to see Hanshi George Alexander perfom Hakutsuru on a couple of occasions and I was amazed.

The longest one I know personally is Kanku Dai or in the Okinawan systems Kusanku.

Gorge Alexander is a very good martial artist but he is not a crane expert , although he does the Hukutsuru kata his hands position has problem. i've never seen anything longer than Hakutsuru kata varients among karate styles.

I'm almost willing to be that Long Form 4 of the American Kenpo Karate system is one of the longest dang kata you'll ever see. It has something like 175+ movements, if I recall correctly.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker