• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kid's Class

Basically the problem where I train is like this..the female teaching is a legit 1st dan in Kempo and in TKD(not sure what kind of tkd) and her skills are appropriate but I don't think she's a good teacher. I'm a higher rank and thinking of taking over just because she has ruined the kid's class.

Basically these kids can't really do much of anything right for their belt level. This girl has them play too many games and not train enough. I've taught a succesfull kid's class in another school before and I definitely had them play some games and such but I also tried to actually teach them martial arts.

We'll see what happens, my friend that I brought in to teach Brazilian Jiu jitsu(we're now gracie-barra affiliated) even commented to me that: "those kid's suck". I talked to the owner's son that's a Nidan and he agreed with me 100% about the kid's class, I was just trying to get any ideas by any of you that have perhaps been in a smiliar situation. Basically, I or the owner's son are going to take over the kid's class, we see no other choice.

Trust me, I'd rather not teach kid's and just focus on adults.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As I'm learning, the most important thing to possess when teaching kids is tolerance for poor skills. Obviously, kids are going to want to play instead of learn. And the more play/fun, the more receptive they can be to learning. It sounds like the current instructor has the fun and games part down pat. She just needs to mix in just the right amount of seriousness.

Most kids' skills--especially below brown belt/sash--are gonna "suck". But I'd be careful about a hasty "shake up" at the dojo. It's a delicate walk between motivating kids and demoralizing kids (as I've learned).

Maybe set aside a few mintues with her, and talk to her about the concerns for the kids' knowledge and technique. Let her know that she's doing a great job in motivating the kids and keeping them entertained, but that there's a small--repeat small window of time where they can stand a little seriousness.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

As I'm learning, the most important thing to possess when teaching kids is tolerance for poor skills. Obviously, kids are going to want to play instead of learn. And the more play/fun, the more receptive they can be to learning. It sounds like the current instructor has the fun and games part down pat. She just needs to mix in just the right amount of seriousness.

Most kids' skills--especially below brown belt/sash--are gonna "suck". But I'd be careful about a hasty "shake up" at the dojo. It's a delicate walk between motivating kids and demoralizing kids (as I've learned).

Maybe set aside a few mintues with her, and talk to her about the concerns for the kids' knowledge and technique. Let her know that she's doing a great job in motivating the kids and keeping them entertained, but that there's a small--repeat small window of time where they can stand a little seriousness.

I think your greatly underestimating children. Children are very capable of learning and having good skills. But you are right about motivation. I agree with speaking with the current instructor. PowerofOne I think you need to talk with her, and tell her your concerns. It would be better for everyone if she was still their instructor, that is, if you could help her to teach them better. Remember some of the students may be very attatched to her and a change of instructor, especially to one who was more strict, would be difficult for the students to handle. I'm not saying they couldnt, but it might cause some of your kids to drop out.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• 1 month later...

ive been teaching kids i was still a kid (13 years old) and some how ended up teaching a classes of 12 three to five year olds. All we did was play games but there karate was pretty good despite their age. the trick is to come up with games that teach good karate. I found that going over drills bored the kids and did not make them wont impress me or their friends, so they didnt care. the games worked here

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you should suggest a team-teaching approach to the class. Instead of kicking the previous instructor out of the class, offer to teach with her. Get together prior to classes to discuss the skills you want to address, and then figure out what drills you want to do. This way, you can get your seriousness worked in, and have some hands-on time with these kids. I agree with Rateh, as far as keeping the previous instructor. Even adults will get attached to certain instructors from time to time.

Also, by working with the previous instructor, you will help her to become a better instructor. This will help to motivate her to get better at teaching. My instructor has a saying: "there are no bad martial arts, just bad instructors." Don't let this one slip through the cracks...everyone has room to improve. It may be that you are just the person to help her out.

It's important to be diplomatic and respectful when dealing with the kid's instructor. What concerns me is your comment about preferring teaching the adults rather than the children.

Personally I would rather have an instructor who wants to be and is enthusiastic about teaching my child as opposed to someone who feels they have no choice and is teaching by default.

Perhaps you are not the right person to lead the class.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sohan has a case. Teaching children is a very rewarding experience. But it can be taxing at times. No matter how firm you are, kids will test you. I find it all rewarding in the end when I see them perform at a testing, and think to myself, "I helped them come along."