• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do we train?

Brady

I started because ever since I was a little kid I have dreamed of learning Karate. However, being raised in a very restrictive religion (Jehovah Witness) I was never allowed.

So now that I'm not longer in that religion, I can finally persue my dream of learning Karate. I've been in it for 1 1/2 years and I must say it's better than I ever dreamed.

I have to admit I had no idea it was so complicated and could keep you physically fit.

Not to brag, but I'm progressing very well. I'll be testing for my purple belt in a couple of months and I'm already helping teach some of the classes.

I hope to have my own dojo one day so I can pass on this amazing art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started because ever since I was a little kid I have dreamed of learning Karate. However, being raised in a very restrictive religion (Jehovah Witness) I was never allowed.

So now that I'm not longer in that religion, I can finally persue my dream of learning Karate. I've been in it for 1 1/2 years and I must say it's better than I ever dreamed.

I have to admit I had no idea it was so complicated and could keep you physically fit.

Not to brag, but I'm progressing very well. I'll be testing for my purple belt in a couple of months and I'm already helping teach some of the classes.

I hope to have my own dojo one day so I can pass on this amazing art.

Your ex-religion does not allow you participate in a martial art?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Bruce Lee had a lot to do with it ! my older cousins went along to some classes in that era and watching them who at times were using me as a partner ,I got interested from early teen age years and had a brief spell with karate in 1976 for three months but diden't start again until 1984.

What made me carry on had a lot to do with the quality of instruction I recieved which I consider myself extremely lucky for . Some People travelled over 50 miles Two or three times a week to train in the dojo that I was 5 minutes away from !

Edited by pers

never give up !

I had taken a few classes when I was very young, 5 or 6. I always remember having an interest in martial arts. When I was 12 I started training at an actual dojo and have been doing it for over 14 years now. I always found it interesting and still do.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Your ex-religion does not allow you participate in a martial art?

Nope, they say it has ties to the occult and spiritism. Also they say we are supposed to be a peacemaker.

Just goes to show how much they really know about the martial arts.

Even now when I mention my training to my family that is still active in the religion, they get a disgusted look on their face.

Pretty sad when you think about it.

Nope, they say it has ties to the occult and spiritism. Also they say we are supposed to be a peacemaker.

Even now when I mention my training to my family that is still active in the religion, they get a disgusted look on their face.

Oh OK I get it. I honeslty didn't know that religion had such a strict rule, but you've got the nail on the head there. Assuming a thing like martial arts leads to somethinig else is silly. If they are willing to hear you out then by all means do what you can to tell them what a martial art is.

On the other side of the coin, though, many martial artists will tell you the same as your family has. In certain cases martial artists are peacemakers. Even Master Gichin Funakoshi encountered violence in his life and refused to fight even when it was evident he should. He allowed muggers to take his tobacco and his pipe, because it was the most peaceful resolution...even though he could have fought his muggers. This is a very important midset to have, and something you can relate to your parents/family when chatting/debating about martial arts. You may even want to pick up Funakoshi's book. I bought my copy for about $10 and if your family reads it perhaps they'll even understand you a little better. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Oh OK I get it. I honeslty didn't know that religion had such a strict rule, but you've got the nail on the head there. Assuming a thing like martial arts leads to somethinig else is silly. If they are willing to hear you out then by all means do what you can to tell them what a martial art is.

On the other side of the coin, though, many martial artists will tell you the same as your family has. In certain cases martial artists are peacemakers. Even Master Gichin Funakoshi encountered violence in his life and refused to fight even when it was evident he should. He allowed muggers to take his tobacco and his pipe, because it was the most peaceful resolution...even though he could have fought his muggers. This is a very important midset to have, and something you can relate to your parents/family when chatting/debating about martial arts. You may even want to pick up Funakoshi's book. I bought my copy for about $10 and if your family reads it perhaps they'll even understand you a little better. :)

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered it. Looks like a good read.

• 3 weeks later...
I started karate when I was 8, on a dare by two friends who dared me to walk into the downtown dojo when there was a class going on. It was in an old windowless building, a dark and spooky place where all kinds of painful noises came from inside. Not being a chicken but not a fool either, I dared them right back, so the three of us walked in.

We entered the huge main door into a dimly lit foyer (A single light bulb covered by a chinese patterened lantern shade with red tassles.) The foyer area was empty and foreboding with no indication that this even was a karate school. Everything was quiet except for the creak of the old floor boards that we walked on. There was a pungent smell in the air. A mix of old polished wood and something else. Infront of us was a set of solid oak double swinging doors. We slowly pushed on one of the heavy doors, (which took some effort to open) to peek inside and found the next room to be large and dimly lit as well with a light at the far end. Inside we found 6 students practicing Sanchin (of course whe had no idea what they were doing at the time). Then in the shadows, to our immediate left we saw a huge 6 foot 6 inch monster dressed in white. All three of us froze in our tracks. We wanted to run but nothing would move. We thought we were all going to be eaten alive by the giant dressed in white PJs. (an 8 yr olds worst nightmare)

It turned out our monster was the instructor, a very friendly and soft spoken person who, the more he spoke the less ominous he seemed (up to a point). We were welcomed and invited to watch. Reluctantly we did, fearing a trap where we would be sacrificed and rend limb from limb by these 6 other rather nasty looking people. After watching the class, all fears finally aside, the three of us were entranced by what we saw and could not wait to drag our parents down so we could join the school. I can still smell the polished wood and Tiger Balm when I think of that time. 47 years later, I am now the 6 foot 2 inch monster lurking in the shadows by the dojo door. :D

You have an amazing ability to tell a story. You should write professionally.

I started Kung Fu as a child when I was being a nosy little kid and followed my teenage babysitter to class. She quit and I earned my black belt after several years. My instructor unfortunately passed away and I did not start MA again until I was an adult. I am now a Nidan in Shotokan and absolutely love it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.