• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anybody know about chinese boxing? What is their training like compared to western boxing, their techniques, etc? What should I expect to gain from that if I join? I want to become better with my hands, but realistically, I don't think I have time to train in a regular boxing school.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Anybody know about chinese boxing? What is their training like compared to western boxing, their techniques, etc? What should I expect to gain from that if I join? I want to become better with my hands, but realistically, I don't think I have time to train in a regular boxing school.

Chinese Boxing is one of various terms used to describe what we know in the West as Kung Fu.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Chinese Boxing is also the book title by Robert W Smith, who comes from a judo/karate background. He has a unique writing style, it's a good read. The book is about the kung fu of Taiwan during the late 50's early 60's. What's interesting is the opinions of the Taiwan masters on kung fu vs. karate & internal vs. external debate.

Chinese Boxing is one of various terms used to describe what we know in the West as Kung Fu.

Exactly!

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

The "Boxer" rebellion or uprising, (depending on your view point) took place between Nov 1899 and Sep 1901.

The Chinese participants called themselves "The Righteous and Harmonious Fists" , the westerners called them "Boxers" because they practiced martial arts or "Chinese Boxing".

The "Boxers" were mostly martial artists and traditionalists who were not happy with the amount of western influence happening in China, and wanted to rid China of Western influence , corruption and theft of national treasures by western powers.

Do a google on Boxer rebellion, there are some interesting pictures of the martial artists or "Boxers" on some of the sites.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

To be more direct than most of the answers, and from the sounds it you want to improve your hands, may I suggest you take a southern region style kung fu. Difference being the northern people tended to be taller, leaner, and lankier, so their styles tend to be more acrobatic in nature using many kicks. What most people see as traditional Norther Shaolin Quan. The southerners were a shorter stockier people where they valued forms, solid stances, and grapling more in their styles.

Trained in,

Korean Hwa Rang Do

Boxing

Started into Aikido and am teaching myself Xing Yi Quan. The plan is to form a new style out of the 2 encompassing perfected striking and effortless defense.

• 4 weeks later...

As others have said, it's just another term for Kung Fu. FYI, Uechi-Ryu comes directly from Paganoon a form of "Chineese Boxing".