• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That "boxing physique".

I'm looking to transform myself into a very lean and built looking machine, something similar to a boxing physique. I have a heavy bag here at the house and I really enjoy training, as I took boxing in the past (though nothing more than the basics).

So to you boxers, do you guys do weight training as well? Not to increase speed, but to gain mass and stay cut. Would my best bet to simply get a heavier glove and hit the bag more as opposed to more weight training (if any)?

Should I be running more or doing more bag work? Currently I run roughly 30 minutes a day, every day, and weight train for about 40 minutes 4-5 times a week. Currently the heavy bag is not a large part of my routine.

Any tips or feedback would be great! :D Thanks in advance!

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lifting will not only help you look better, it will also help you gain in speed and power. Hitting with a heavier glove is also a good idea. My gloves i use to spar with are 14 oz. my gloves I hit the heavy bag with are 16 oz. it helps build hand speed because when and if you ever have to fight you are fighting with no extra weight on your hands. Also I would both run and do bag work. I would definately not give up on bag work if I were you. I liek to do soem bag work as a warm up before I lift. gets the blood flowing and the heart rate up. ;)

As far as "Boxer's physiqe" I don't know what that is. I have seen boxer with so many different body types. From skinny and look like a strong wind would knock them over to people you would think are too fat to have much stamina, although these types soemtimes suprise the heck out of people when they actually start figthing. I don't think there is one body type exclusive to boxers.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Thank you for the tips, they will be very helpful.

As for a boxing physique, I agree, my question is fairly broad and I should have been much more clear on what exactly I was getting at. I really just want to be cut and strong, which I'm working on at the moment, and the results have been good so far. Self defense is just a nice bonus.

How long do you usually hit the heavy bag for? I realize I'll have to work up to prolonged periods of time, and I have a rough time going on it for awhile.

Does anyone have any bag training tips for a rounded out bag workout? For example, fast strikes switching to slow strikes and combinations followed by faster strikes. I find myself hitting very hard for a combination, lighter the next, then hard again. I also switch up the speeds so I can stay on it longer.

If I could I'd hit up a boxing club for technique, but alas that's impossible at the moment. I would guess that bag work is very important, followed by typical cardio (skipping, running) and then followed by weight training. This is how I prioritize things now, but it would be nice to get some feedback on it.

- John Dryden

It really depends on how you train and your goals...remember if you're going to compete in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, etc...you fight in weight classes. Generally speaking the more weight you can cut, the better off you are.

If you're not going to compete lifting weights is fine but if you fight in a weight class you have to be careful how much you bulk up. When I was actively competing in Muay Thai and kickboxing bouts I hardly lifted any weights because I was training at least 4 hours. I'd even train on sundays but usually only an hour or two.

I'd also reccomend wind sprints and/or running stairs/hills instead of just a 30 minute jog. I generally would do a 15 minute jump roping session as my warm up before I did anything and after that go run up and down a nearby hill. Don't get me wrong, long distance runs are good for endurance and for losing weight but if you neglect sprinting you won't have that "burst".

A problem I witnessed with someone I used to train with who was very heavy into lifting weights was his range of motion wasn't that great...he would throw his hooks wrong which resulted in him having to get surgery at least twice on his bicep. He literally ripped the vein out of the groove by how much of his bicep he was using. No, this guy isn't a roid freak, he's actually been a SWAT/undercover dea/dep. sheriff, etc. since I've known him.

Anyhoo to get back to my original point, if you're actually training like a boxer would and it's imperative to stay in a weight class you have to be careful about lifting weights.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

^^^ That is a truly good point,I've seen so many guys with a very bad range of motion due to bulking up to much.I would do as power of one said.If you ever wanna compete find out which weight class you wanna fight in and go from there.If it's solidly for just a look then,bulk up all ya want.

ISAIAH 53:5

That was actually very helpful, and while I'm not training for competition I do have a target weight that I'd like to maintain. Also about the bulking, this is another reason why I'd like to do more bag work and cardio rather than weight training. I think I'll cut the weights down to roughly 3-4 times a week and set my focus on the other things I'd like to achieve.

As for the wind sprints, etc., that was also very helpful. I'm not interested in endurance all that much (especially since I find jogging to be boring), but explosiveness seems to appeal to me more.

On the topic of explosiveness, would it be better to do explosive punching on the bag as opposed to slower and moderate punching? Assuming that I'd like explosive power, that is.

This is really helping me put a program together, so thanks a lot guys.

- John Dryden

It really depends on how you train and your goals...remember if you're going to compete in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, etc...you fight in weight classes. Generally speaking the more weight you can cut, the better off you are.

If you're not going to compete lifting weights is fine but if you fight in a weight class you have to be careful how much you bulk up.

Anyhoo to get back to my original point, if you're actually training like a boxer would and it's imperative to stay in a weight class you have to be careful about lifting weights.

there are a couple of variables here:

1. he may be heavyweight. If so, then bulk isn't a huge issue for him in terms of making weight.

2. you can easily lift weights without bulking up - there is a slight difference between mass training and strength training, even though there is some crossover.

How long do you usually hit the heavy bag for? I realize I'll have to work up to prolonged periods of time, and I have a rough time going on it for awhile.

Does anyone have any bag training tips for a rounded out bag workout? For example, fast strikes switching to slow strikes and combinations followed by faster strikes. I find myself hitting very hard for a combination, lighter the next, then hard again. I also switch up the speeds so I can stay on it longer.

start out with a number of rounds you can comfortably do. an amateur round is 2 mins, pro is three. There is a minute of rest between rounds. start off with 4 rounds and build up over time. you really have no need to go over 12 rounds. you don't want to switch to SLOW strikes - that would serve no purpose, as you won't be striking slow when you fight. What you can do is switch between speed and power. It's been said that there is an exchange about every 15 seconds or so, so punch with speed for fifteen seconds, then punch full speed and power for 15 secs. Do this for the duration of the round.

don't worry about making a combination light. Instead, learn to vary within the combo. for example, light jab/hard cross/hard hook or stiff jab/light cross/hard hook. vary the power and rhythm within the combination - dont make one combination all the same speed.

don't worry about staying on the bag "longer" from a fight perspective, 4 three minute rounds is more beneficial than 12 straight minutes. Why? because you pace yourself differently for three mins than you will for 12 straight. going 12 straight you will me much slower and more conservative.

If I could I'd hit up a boxing club for technique, but alas that's impossible at the moment. I would guess that bag work is very important, followed by typical cardio (skipping, running) and then followed by weight training. This is how I prioritize things now, but it would be nice to get some feedback on it.

cardio is good, but a major part of boxing is anaerobic - moreso than aerobic. that said, you don't need anymore than 3-5 mile jogs and rope jumping cardio wise. the rest should be interval sprinting and such, which is anaerobic. And don't forget to shadowbox.

elbows_and_knees, thanks a lot, everything you said makes a lot of sense.

As for size, I'm 6'1" and about 190. I'd like to maintain or gain some muscle weight (maybe 5-10lbs) so I'm just watching my diet and doing strength training only, at the moment.

Hopefully I can manage to get into an actual boxing gym/club within the next few months though, but it would be very nice to get into actual technique and have a solid routine. What you said will definitely help improve my conditioning until that time, so thanks a lot. It's kind of nice to know what to expect training wise too. Well, from a physical point of view, not necessarily technique.

Thanks again guys.

- John Dryden