• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your opinions please

at our UFAF sactioned tang soo do tournaments it is broken down into these divisions: Beginner 1 (yellow and purple belt), beginner 2 (orange, 2nd gup blue, and 1st gup blue belt), intermediate (3rd gup green, 2nd gup green and 1st gup green-this is me) advanced (3rd gup red, 2nd gup red, 1st gup red belt) expert 1 (1st dan black to 4th dan black) expert 2 (5th dan black to 10th dan black)

now in my division (intermediate) i am the best and current champ and hold an intermediate record of 11wins 1loss and 2 ties. so i entered to fight in the advanced division for a challenge. at the studio i have no problems, my advanced record is 9 wins 3 losses. and at the studio i even fought in the expert division twice and won both matches. but at the last tournament i got beat pretty bad in the advanced division. its not that i did bad cause i did pretty good and what i thought was to be the best i could do. so this tounament coming up i have entered again into the advanced division.

i was just curious what ur opinions are and if u have any tips for me to prepare i would greatly appretiate it.

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In the NASKA (North American Sport Karate Association) which I compete in has 4 divisions for forms/kata, beginner, iintermediate, advanced, and BB. Age groups are defined as well. Sparing is pretty much the same except for weight rules. The drawback to the BB division is that you compete with 1st dans - 9th dans :o

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 3 weeks later...

Learn from that match you lost. What did that individual do differently than what you have been used to in the past. This is why tournaments are so great. They are learning experiences. If someone taped that match, watch it and learn.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 1 month later...

Work with as many advanced students that are in your studio as you can. When you spar, work on scenarios with certain attacks, and prepare counters, and do drills like that.

Practice, practice, practice.

i don't know anything about your system nor am i a bb, but i think you should go for it. if these guyys have to give 100 percent then you should give two hundred percent if you know what i mean. i am the type that likes the odds stacked against me and do far better under more pressure. if you are like that then i think you have nothing to worry about. plus you already know what to expect so you can train for that and then some. good luck!!

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

thanx for all ur opinions, i won the tourney in both katas and sparring

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

way to go!!

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"