Yellow

Orange

Blue

Purple

Green

Brown

Black

is this the standard or do other dojo's do it different

No, some organizations have standards for belt colors but the general rule is colored belts can be anything. The exception being that white is pretty much universal as a beginner.

As an example, in Uechi each dojo uses their own color system, and until you reach the Dan (black belt ranks) the material can be slightly different at each kyu grade. But by 2 kyu most Uechi dojos the material is similar and by Shodan (1 Dan) the test is pretty much universal.

I know other styles that things depend on the instructor and the school. As for your style, I'm not sure if there is a standard set of colors.

I think where I train it is a 10 kyu system, I'm not really sure...I train at a Kempo dojo now but I teach muay thai their and my highest ranked student will be teaching bjj soon. They recognize my rank in karate but I don't consider myself a kempo stylist. They do an "isshin ryu'esque" verticle tsuki which I don't really dig..anyhoo in shito ryu it went white, orange, blue, red(within the last decade or so), purple, green 2 and 1, then brown 3 through 1, shodan.

Like Fairfax said, kyu ranks with colors vary greatly in dojo/style/region/etc.

I know of a school where purple is in place of brown, I still don't know why. If you rally wanna get confused look at Vovinam's belt ranking ;)

p.s. I hate the color purple and I can remember when I was a purple belt training very hard trying to advance as quickly as possible..I also trained in a 5 day a week, 3 hour dojo at the time.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

So far as kyu ranking goes, in the dojo I attend, we have a 4 belt system: white, yellow, green, and brown. I myself favor a three or even a two belt system.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

Cuong Nhu dojos don't seem to be entirely uniform in their use of belts. Adult belts at my dojo are thus:

White

White + 1 green stripe

White + 2 green stripes

Green

Green + 1 brown stripe

Green + 2 brown stripes

Brown

Brown + 1 black stripe

Brown + 2 black stripes

Black

Children have more colors and stripes. They join the adult program when they are 13.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

My dojo also operates on a 10kyu grading system, but we only use four color belts, tape is placed on the solid belts until promotion to next color.

White belt: 10-6th kyu

Green belt: 6th-4th kyu

Brown belt: 3rd-1st kyu

Then black belt. :D

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

In my style its

white

yellow

orange

purple

blue

green

brown

black

Edited by marie curie

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu