• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what are your thoughts on this?

I am currently taking shotokan karate, and I was wonderiing what everyones thought was on this style, and karate in general.

I know I have posted something similar to this in the karate section (and now believe it or not on the korean arts by accident, sorry to the people who have to deal woth that I am sorry), but I thought here would be a better place to put it. My question is, meant with no disrespect, do you beleive that judo practitioners are most likely going to beat a shotokan practitioner in a real life situation, not only that but also more realistic?

My belief is that a martial art is only as good as the practitioner can make it by applying it appropriately yo combat and have a good instructor. So basically what I mean is that I do not beleive in a superior style, it is my friend who does and I wanted to hear others thoughts on it.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it matters, people in general just make this issue bigger than it should be.

I dont know the feeling or effect judo can cause someone to develop, however on average and black belt shotokan and a black belt judoist...

I hate to admit it, but from what I see from day to day, alot of shotokan practitioners bounce around for some reason, and I think this can cause so many problems, it should be another thread...my dojo doesnt support bouncing and those embarrsing flashy moves and kicks that I see coming up in tournaments, however other dojos seem to think it helps... But I wouldn't be able to go either way.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I dont think it matters, people in general just make this issue bigger than it should be.

I dont know the feeling or effect judo can cause someone to develop, however on average and black belt shotokan and a black belt judoist...

I hate to admit it, but from what I see from day to day, alot of shotokan practitioners bounce around for some reason, and I think this can cause so many problems, it should be another thread...my dojo doesnt support bouncing and those embarrsing flashy moves and kicks that I see coming up in tournaments, however other dojos seem to think it helps... But I wouldn't be able to go either way.

I totally know what you mean I've been seeing lots of karate teachers show and teach flashey moves, that are completely inaffective. My teacher says a head level round house kick looks really pretty but a knee level one would actually work. Your are really smart, I'd say you understand karate almost to the level of an expert. Oh and I have decided that because judo people are able to apply what they know to combat quickly I must work extra hard so no matter what they could not beat me, that will now be one of my goals that sit beside my others like equaling and then surpassing Corrie at form, john at power and connection, my rival in in kamloops in everything he does and then possibly try to be good enough so I can beat my instructor at everything he can do amazingly well.

Thank you

Its exellent you have practicle goals that lead to higher training.

Sorry to the forum for the off topic question, however, how does this person talk about shotokan, is it agressive, or a silent ego...Sometimes asking progressive, assertive, and calm questions, can lead a person to change their entire focus. Not advice though, just a thought.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Thank you

Its exellent you have practicle goals that lead to higher training.

Sorry to the forum for the off topic question, however, how does this person talk about shotokan, is it agressive, or a silent ego...Sometimes asking progressive, assertive, and calm questions, can lead a person to change their entire focus. Not advice though, just a thought.

Well she isn't terrible about it and pokes fun at it out of no where but if I'm talking about it with my friend who does another karate she will definately put her two bits in or roll her eyes or when me and her talk about judo she will talk about how great it is, but if I ever say anything about shotokan she will attack (though not in a way to make me feel bad about myself) Or if I were to say something about the importance of both striking, and throws and grappling she'll get on my case.

Given remotely similar skill levels, I would bet on a pure judo player over a pure karate player virtually every time.

It is much easier for a grappler to close the distance to clinch range than it is for a pure striker to keep the grappler at a distance and damage him with strikes.

This has been demonstrated in hundreds or thousands of full-contact mixed martial arts fights.

However, to be a rounded fighter, one should train striking and grappling.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Given remotely similar skill levels, I would bet on a pure judo player over a pure karate player virtually every time.

It is much easier for a grappler to close the distance to clinch range than it is for a pure striker to keep the grappler at a distance and damage him with strikes.

This has been demonstrated in hundreds or thousands of full-contact mixed martial arts fights.

Yup that is right, and that is why I plan on taking a grappling art as well once I get to a good enough level. I can't say I completely agree with you though because the whole grappler and versus striker thing is true, full contact martial arts tournaments aren't realistic really many vital areas are not aloud to be hit, which I think gives grapplers a little bit of an edge in stuff like the U.F.C. and what not.

Yup that is right, and that is why I plan on taking a grappling art as well once I get to a good enough level. I can't say I completely agree with you though because the whole grappler and versus striker thing is true, full contact martial arts tournaments aren't realistic really many vital areas are not aloud to be hit, which I think gives grapplers a little bit of an edge in stuff like the U.F.C. and what not.

All areas except the eyes were valid in the early UFCs when pure grapplers were defeating pure strikers left, right and centre. Have you seen UFCs 1 - 10? Early Vale Tudo?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

All areas except the eyes were valid in the early UFCs when pure grapplers were defeating pure strikers left, right and centre. Have you seen UFCs 1 - 10? Early Vale Tudo?

Actually I was younger when the beginning ones were out and had no incline to watch it. and I actually just started watching it this year so sorry I did not know that the rules had changed, I will try next time to research what I say before I say it. sorry about that and I hope you didn't take it offensive, I also said though that while grapplers having an advantage over strikers was true that the rules that were more recently placed may have made it more apparent.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think that style matters but I do think that whatever style you do chose you should work hard at until it is mastered. karate can be fun but also dangerous. if you use it for defense then it is fine. but if you use it for bullying then you dont deserve it. I mean its alright to go to a competition but please dont fight anybody seriously unless you have a real good reason.

e-mail:

one_with_fire_rusioka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-