• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming a Black belt

Sensei Rick, that was a great post. I think some here place TOO MUCH value on a black belt, so when they see someone who they deem unworthy, they think it cheapens their own black belt. It doesn't.

Some say a kid cannot understand or have the wisdom to be a black belt. I say that wisdom & understanding are gradually gained throughout a lifetime. There is no one point or magical age when an individual attains "enlightenment" and now is worthy of a black belt. As a parent of 2 teenage boys and a former teenager myself, I know the worst place to draw such a line would be anywhere between 12 and 20.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the school I go to, the blackbelt test has most of the emphasis on the understanding of technical skills. Under technical skills, to a lesser note, there is an emphasis on the ability of the student to use those technical skills with power (or, to sound less cheesy, with OOMPHF). If a student has OK technical skills but no oomphf, or if the student has OK oomphf but no skills to go along with it, that does not constitute a blackbelt-worthy student. The way the belt system is set up, no matter how young you start, you will be at least 12 before you can test for blackbelt, and I think that is quite perfect. If someone that young tests, and they have not hit the develpment spurt that allows them to have the needed oomphf (if you were wondering, yes, that was a lame-o euphemism for puberty), then they can make up for it by having outstanding technical skills which, skills that would make them even with someone with more strength but lesser skills in a street-fight situation.

Basically, without all of the rambling, it looks like this:

(technical skills) x (oomphf factor) = overall ability

I hope that was more understandable than a rambling bit of gook,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

I don't mind so much a child having a black belt, but it should signifiy their capabilities. And above all else, lets not forget that the belt will never stand up for you in a conflict. It is only your skill that will save you or your families lives

Well, SubGrappler, I'm sure we would agree on one thing: neither one of us would award someone a black belt who did not deserve it. I have just been fortunate to train some truly exceptional kids.

It's the difference in perception between traditional MA and grappling.

I believe that a 12 y/o can have the same skill set as an adult. The APPLICATION of that skill set may be lagging, just because they don't have the musculature yet to make it a devestating technique. It doesn't make their technique any less correct.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I am sorry but I would have to dissagree with you on this one. Size and strength does not mater. and if they really did EARN the black belt then they wouldnt go around picking fights unless they were just stupid and thats their falt. and it is the sensais falt for giving them the belt when they were not worthy. But if they were worthy of the belt I would not have a problem with a 5 year old getting a black belt. But you are right about discipline. Most places are just too nice too the kids and let them do whatever they want. It should be fun but it should also have limits.

e-mail:

one_with_fire_rusioka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

Size and strength does not mater.

take two fighters of absolute equal ability.

make one twice as heavy and twice as strong, all other attributes remain equal.

who is more likely to win?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

ovine king, exactly right. You should not expect a child to be able to fight a much larger adult, any more than a petite women should be expected to fight a large man. That doesn't mean that a child (or a women) should not be able to earn a black belt.

Individuals should be judged on fighting ability with their peers. Invincibility should not be a requirement. If it were, most of us would never have earned a black belt.