• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What type of martial arts does sparring without padding?

When I was in Kajukenbo, we never used pads or a point system either. However, it is true: it depends on what dojo you go to and what the instructor wants his/her students to do :wink:

"Train HARD to be HARD"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious,

Was your sparring matches knockout/submission only? How young were the students involved in those matches?

Martin

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

I think we have to consider the various deffinitions of sparring in this discussion. Some of the styles mentioned as"no pads", dont allow hand strikes to the head. And possibly no low kicks for some too.

If realism is your goal, I think you have to allow punches/elbows/whatever to the head. Try doing that with realistic contact and no pads and you're going to have a dojo full of very ugly fighters!:)

Pads allow you to train with a certain amount of realism without severe injury, on a regular basis. Occasional competition without pads will give you a feel for real contact. Put them together and you're on your way to becomming a very proficient fighter.

No pads usually means retricted targets and contact. Which doesnt teach realistic reactions.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

Just curious,

Was your sparring matches knockout/submission only? How young were the students involved in those matches?

Martin

It was both, however, the matches ran at about 50% of full strength and speed. All the students were over 20.

I think we have to consider the various deffinitions of sparring in this discussion. Some of the styles mentioned as"no pads", dont allow hand strikes to the head. And possibly no low kicks for some too.

If realism is your goal, I think you have to allow punches/elbows/whatever to the head. Try doing that with realistic contact and no pads and you're going to have a dojo full of very ugly fighters!

Pads allow you to train with a certain amount of realism without severe injury, on a regular basis. Occasional competition without pads will give you a feel for real contact. Put them together and you're on your way to becomming a very proficient fighter.

No pads usually means retricted targets and contact. Which doesnt teach realistic reactions.

I think you are right, there are too many various deffinitions. Like our style of "no pad" in kaju meant half speed and power. This was strickly regulated by the three upper most rank students and the instructor.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

Sounds interesting, a tournament where both submissions and knockouts were allowed. Well, I would like to know what you mean by fighting at "half power". I can not visualize it.

Thanks.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

Not a tournament, In-house sparring for self-defense training. "Half power" or "time spar" is very prodominate in MMA training. Matt Hughes, Jemery Horn, and Rich Franklin all use it, as well as many other UFC fighters. One thing is for sure, you have to trust your doshi or someone is going to get really hurt.

"Train HARD to be HARD"

The only padding we use is padded gloves. However, we do have mouthguards and cups. Students under 18 have to wear a helmet though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

It is required in our school to have padding. I do not feel we get a false sense of security. The reason I say this is because I trained for years in a style that did not allow pads. There has been no difference in contact made or not made. Personally, I would prefer no pads, but have decided I love shin gaurds. Man, all those years of fighting without shin gaurds have made my shins bumpy, and prone for injury and bruising.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

yea i dont really like padding, but sometime you have to use it, so you dont get injured. well in BJJ you dont need pads.