• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What should I do with my training?

I've been doing martial arts for a while and I did sports when I was younger, so my body has gone through some wear and tear. I recently have had some pretty serious knee issues (like if I have my knee bent and try to throw someone, it colapses, or just doesnt extend all the way for kicks-getting caught on something in there, plus ow for keeping my stances low like they should be for example in forms or tricks). Because of some transportation and insurance issues, I won't be able to make it to a doctor for a few weeks... maybe 5ish. As a bioengineer, I know how fragile knees can be, so I don't want to over do it and I don't plan on sparring/randori until I get an MD's go-ahead.

So, here is my question:

Which would be better:

1. Sitting out for a few weeks on most drills/kata practice

2. Keep doing what I can, but sacrifice some technique (stances not being quite right, steps being a little off, etc)

Your experience and knowledge is much appreciated.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sit it out, if you make it worse you'll be sitting out a lot longer.

Talk to a sports doctor, not just a general MD, get someone that actually deals with sports injuries. Chances are they will be able to reccomend some things to strengthen the knee again so you can get back into class.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I've been doing martial arts for a while and I did sports when I was younger, so my body has gone through some wear and tear. I recently have had some pretty serious knee issues (like if I have my knee bent and try to throw someone, it colapses, or just doesnt extend all the way for kicks-getting caught on something in there, plus ow for keeping my stances low like they should be for example in forms or tricks). Because of some transportation and insurance issues, I won't be able to make it to a doctor for a few weeks... maybe 5ish. As a bioengineer, I know how fragile knees can be, so I don't want to over do it and I don't plan on sparring/randori until I get an MD's go-ahead.

So, here is my question:

Which would be better:

1. Sitting out for a few weeks on most drills/kata practice

2. Keep doing what I can, but sacrifice some technique (stances not being quite right, steps being a little off, etc)

Your experience and knowledge is much appreciated.

Five weeks is a LONG time with an injury. You're right. Knees are serious things and messing with them can be very very very bad. I'd suggest taking it easy and not doing anything to hurt it further. If you can get to a good doctor do so. It's not something that I would take to chance.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do anything that would possibly hurt it. But I also know my body well and do a lot of research on things. My doctor and I work as a team and I plan how to adjust for my age, injuries and any special training that I'm planning.

A few things that you can do that no one will argue with is to: eat as good as possible. Get as much rest as possible. Soak your body in a warm bath with Epsom salts as much as you can, and don't do anything dumb! :karate:

Otherwise be smart, and if you're not sure error on the safe side.

Good thread. I was thinking about going back to training after a knee injury. But it's only been two weeks, maybe three. So I think I'll ride it out for a bit longer. Thanks to marie curie for starting this thread. I got good advice as well. If anyone has anything else to share, let us know.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...
Sit it out!

In 5 weeks you will lose nothing.... muscle won't deteriorate in 5 weeks and I doubt youll lose any skills or technique.

Better safe than sorry in a case like this.

All the best,

Tom

Actually you would be suprised at how much change can occur in a week or two let alone five. You're right for some folks, but for others, 5 weeks can be like a lifetime. Now as you can see from my post above, I don't recommend doing anything to risk serious harm, but I don't think it's right to tell someone that they won't lose anything durning a 5 week break. One thing I don't like is to make general recommendations, especially with injuries. They're hard enough to do in person, let alone without really knowing the person, or the extent of the injury.

IMHO, the worse case is to sit out the five weeks. Muscles will have some negative effect (sorry but we all lose some muscle tone in this time) And we just need time to get our skills back. If the injury is bad enough, this is the only choice. But this is also the safest choice with the least risk of further injury. Next would be to take a week or two off, train light for another week or two and gradually work back into things. This is usually the way many folks that I know work. There's a chance of getting hurt or not healing quick enough, but there is also the chance of returning fairly quickly. This option really requires a lot of knowlege of yourself. I would call this a middle option. The ideal situation (again IMHO) is to train in ways that you do some training, but don't do things to the injury. For instance with a knee injury, work the upper body in the weight room. Or if you hurt your toe, avoid kicking the heavy bag. This requires experience, and if you don't know what you're doing (or even if you do and make a mistake) you can cause more injury. But it also keeps you "in the game" and makes the return the quickest.

In any case, there are options. The way you work them depends on your goals, objectives, injury, experience, etc.

I think you should sit it out for a few weeks. because if your knee takes any more damage you might not be able to take the classess again and you may not even be able to walk. Just think about it do you want to sacrafice a few weeks of training. Or would you like to train for a couple more weeks and then never be able to train again?

e-mail:

one_with_fire_rusioka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

Thanks for all the good info!!!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu