• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, i wish you could help me with a couple of things:

1. muay thai drills.

2. How to make my kicks more powerfull.

3. Punch, elbow, kick knees, clinching training and combinations.

4. a Muay Thai body workouts. Shin conditioning,

I just want to know how you train and get your advices to improve my own training.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some Muay Thai pad drills.. basically combo's you can practice.

Jab, cross, hook

Jab, cross, right elbow

Jab, cross, left elbow

Jab, cross, right knee (thrust)

Jab, cross, left knee (thrust)

Jab, cross, right kick

Jab, cross, left kick

Just go down the list and do this on pads work it in a few rounds and work on form and tecnique.

How to make your kicks more powerful. Don't extend your leg!!! Keep your leg relaxed and make sure that it is bent and not straight when it impacts. I have mine bent at 90-degree angle when it impacts and it hits the front of the target, not the side.

Step in at a 45-degree angle to the opposite side of the leg you are kicking with.

Pivot your foot, try to point the heel of the supporting foot at your target.

Turn your hips over, try to get your hips pointed at the ground, the hips are where the real power comes from. Try to get your hips to lead the kick.

Repetition is the mother of all skill. Just keep practicing the kick over and over again, this will also condition your shin. Don't do anythign stupid like rolling pins on your shins or beating them, that is just silly. A person doesn't feel pain in a real fight anyway, so shin conditioning isn't all that important.

More to come.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Thai pads are a good all round tool for all the above but you will need a good pad man to get the best out of it,he will have to know the right combinations of drills and how to hold them.

Heavy bag drills are good for the power,as well as it conditions your shins.

One tip with your shin ,roll them -don't ever tap or kick anythink that could create a hairline fracture or you have reaccuring injuries,I'd suggest pads and the heavybag filled with rubber shreddings.

As for the body workout,I'm not sure what you mean,if your talking conditioning then that just comes from training,roadwork(anywhere from 2-8km depending if your competing),situps (minimum of 30minutes a day) and lots of pad and bag work.

The grappling and knee work is best done with a partner.

Hope thats a help to you,train hard.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Even in Muay Thai there are different "styles". The straight leg type of kick is used to wear a person down at longer range. The bent-leg kick is used to break the opponent. I prefer the bent-leg kick, it is much more powerful and emphasizes hip power.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• 2 years later...
To make your punches and kicks stronger, do squats and push-ups. And work on your foot work aLOT!!! Keep switching and move around!! Good for small people to move around when they are fighting big people.

tokin' chokin' chillin'

PRIDE! OKINAWA PRIDE!