• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate ouch

shotokanbeginner

Does she (or ever) studied Shotokan? I have. I think both have value. If she never studied it, then .... This is a family forum. No curse words. Sorry, bashing is not my thing if I have no clue about the art. I also studied Judo, but I didn't get very far. But every art as value. Tell her to try it, before making her "remarks."

I agree,but she can be ignorant that way. I wasn't bashing anything, and I didn't curse. She doesn't know of this site so she won't put any rude things on here.

No, I meant me. I didn't want to curse on KF (I hate bashers). From your post, I thought that's what she was doing (bashing). Sorry, it was late when I posted that. Anyways, yes, some people are ignorant. And the sad thing is, you can't change them. So don't let it get to ya. Just train hard ;)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask your friend to come along and take some Shotokan classes. Tell him/her that if he/she does that then you'll go and do a little Judo with them. That way you both get to experience each others arts and can learn from one another (hopefully!)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Does she (or ever) studied Shotokan? I have. I think both have value. If she never studied it, then .... This is a family forum. No curse words. Sorry, bashing is not my thing if I have no clue about the art. I also studied Judo, but I didn't get very far. But every art as value. Tell her to try it, before making her "remarks."

I agree,but she can be ignorant that way. I wasn't bashing anything, and I didn't curse. She doesn't know of this site so she won't put any rude things on here.

No, I meant me. I didn't want to curse on KF (I hate bashers). From your post, I thought that's what she was doing (bashing). Sorry, it was late when I posted that. Anyways, yes, some people are ignorant. And the sad thing is, you can't change them. So don't let it get to ya. Just train hard ;)

oh hahhahaa sorry about that. I promise you I will train hard.

I have a friend who does tang soo do, what is it like?

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

this is a good plan, but we do judo and karate at the exact same time and at opposite ends of town. I will still try and bribe her though I have always wanted to try judo or aikido, or jujutsu

TSD is similar to Shotokan in many ways. But my old dojang was a mix of styles. It wasn't just TSD (except for the forms). We learned a bit of Thai boxing, Jujitsu, and Hapkido. It also depended on who taught and what their experience was. It was cool. Other than forms training, we got bits of a lot of stuff. Kept it fresh every class.

Anyways, Shotokan and TSD do the same forms, with slight differences here and there. But I enjoyed both. I learned a lot from both (eventhough I did Shotokan for a short time).

The same with Judo. I did it with a TKD dojang (Judo was part of the curriculum) and seperate (but the instructor stopped teaching :( ). Now I do Jujitsu (on top of TKD ... crosstraining). My judo training helps in some ways in Jujitsu, but it totally throws me off in other ways. It helps me with grappling, but for some reason, the throws are somewhat different (I get totally confused LOL).

Sorry. I went into a big ramble again. Just read my second paragraph if you wish (to answer your question) LOL.

Laurie F

TSD is similar to Shotokan in many ways. But my old dojang was a mix of styles. It wasn't just TSD (except for the forms). We learned a bit of Thai boxing, Jujitsu, and Hapkido. It also depended on who taught and what their experience was. It was cool. Other than forms training, we got bits of a lot of stuff. Kept it fresh every class.

Anyways, Shotokan and TSD do the same forms, with slight differences here and there. But I enjoyed both. I learned a lot from both (eventhough I did Shotokan for a short time).

The same with Judo. I did it with a TKD dojang (Judo was part of the curriculum) and seperate (but the instructor stopped teaching :( ). Now I do Jujitsu (on top of TKD ... crosstraining). My judo training helps in some ways in Jujitsu, but it totally throws me off in other ways. It helps me with grappling, but for some reason, the throws are somewhat different (I get totally confused LOL).

Sorry. I went into a big ramble again. Just read my second paragraph if you wish (to answer your question) LOL.

No don't worry you weren't rambling, and if you were it was helpful rambling. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who is in judo and is constantly saying how much more effective it is than shotokan and how unrealistic shotokan is. I think she only says this because of lack of knowledge, but it bugs me. What should I say or do? I know that judo is effective. Do all judo practitioners believe karate is a joke? I'm not saying this to be rude or disrespectful, I just want to know because I only know a little bit about judo. I know not all think that about karate because that would be just ignorant, but does a large portion of them think this? What can I say to open her eyes that shotokan can be effective so long as the student and teacher are good?

p.s. I think judo is great and may one day try it out so I am not flaming it.

Just tell her they're apples and oranges. Neither is better or worse. She may also be saying this to rib you some, and also to stand up for what she studies. People always want what they have to be the "best" so it's natural for some of this to occur.

As for the effectiveness of Shotokan, you're right about the student and instructor being key factors. FYI, one thing to keep in mind, is that in popular arts like TKD and Shotokan you are much more likely to come across poor teachers as there are so many dojos. Say for the sake of example that just 10% of the dojos are McDojos and that there are 100 dojos within an hour of you. Then 10 would be McDojos. In a style with only 10 dojos you'd only run across 1. So while the odds may be the same, the perception that there are more with the more popular style is due to the fact that there are more bad instructors. The point is that perceptions are built for several reasons, and some of them are valid.

Also, the techniques that you use will depend on many factors. In my case, the low linear stances of Shotokan just aren't very natural for me. Uechi is more upright and better suited to me. So while Shotokan may be great for you, it isn't for me. So when you compare them we go back to the apples and oranges. Also if I'm not mistaken, Judo is mostly ground work and Shotokan is mostly a striking art, so they often don't cover similar techniques. In Uechi we have a good mixture so while we're mostly a striking art, we also have some ground work. So in your case, learning some Judo from your friend might be a good complement to your Shotokan, and teaching her some of your strikes might be a good complement for her. In my case, I've been toying with adding more kicking to my Uechi as we do some but more extensive kicking would really complement my striking and grabs. So... just keep your open mind and learn all you can.

Hey shotokanbeginner, are you a guy?

Just a shot in the dark....I mess with my guy all the time that my conglomeration of styles is better than his :)

(Primarily I started out in Karate, and he started in TKD)

Also, I think a lot if not most serious martial artists either practice both striking and grappling or would if they could or are working on it(like you).

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

If a judoka fights a karateka, judoka will probabbly win more times, but it is wholly dependent on many variables.

Judo or Bjj in the street is unrealistic, but they own sporting MA. There is no way I am going to ground in a street fight! I will be moving and striking!

For different places each are stronger or weaker than the other!

MARTIAL ARTS IS NOT A GAME...THEREFORE IS NOT A SPORT!