• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate ouch

shotokanbeginner

I have a friend who is in judo and is constantly saying how much more effective it is than shotokan and how unrealistic shotokan is. I think she only says this because of lack of knowledge, but it bugs me. What should I say or do? I know that judo is effective. Do all judo practitioners believe karate is a joke? I'm not saying this to be rude or disrespectful, I just want to know because I only know a little bit about judo. I know not all think that about karate because that would be just ignorant, but does a large portion of them think this? What can I say to open her eyes that shotokan can be effective so long as the student and teacher are good?

p.s. I think judo is great and may one day try it out so I am not flaming it.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she (or ever) studied Shotokan? I have. I think both have value. If she never studied it, then .... This is a family forum. No curse words. Sorry, bashing is not my thing if I have no clue about the art. I also studied Judo, but I didn't get very far. But every art as value. Tell her to try it, before making her "remarks."

Laurie F

Does she (or ever) studied Shotokan? I have. I think both have value. If she never studied it, then .... This is a family forum. No curse words. Sorry, bashing is not my thing if I have no clue about the art. I also studied Judo, but I didn't get very far. But every art as value. Tell her to try it, before making her "remarks."

I agree,but she can be ignorant that way. I wasn't bashing anything, and I didn't curse. She doesn't know of this site so she won't put any rude things on here.

I believe that this topic is leading to the striking (shotokan) vs grappling (judo) debate again.

To be truly good in self defense, it is important to train train in both.

I agree with you also, that is why I want to try out judo,so I can be not just good at stricking but grappling too. Our karate group does throws and some grappling so whenI do try it out at least I will have some knowledge of it already.

You will always encounter that. I'm sure there's a no-gi BJJ practicioner that is telling your Judo friend the same thing about her Judo. It's just the way of things, don't worry about it. Her beliefs in Shotokan or his belief in the superiority of Judo is irrelevant to you and your training. A huge part of Karate is the development of the character, not the muscles and fighting prowess, though that is also a part of it as well.

There is no one superior style. It doesn't exist. Don't limit your mind in the way that your Judo friend has.

Besides, my brother practices BJJ, and he cannot take me down. Now I'm not worried if he ever did as I have a strong background when it comes to ground fighting and he knows that but that's what he knows and he knows full well that he cannot stand with me, the strikes of a grappling art normally can't stand up to a striking art. But I help him with his training... with trying to take down a man that both doesn't want to go down, is hard to take down, and very dangerous on his feet. So I wear foot gear and gloves and he tries to take me down and he put me in a favourable position on the ground....and it stops when I get onto the ground, we get up and do it again.... well he very rarely takes me down. He can't get anywhere near me, and when he does manage to get into close range.... well Goju is geared around in-close combat, and even without using any of my other jujitsu and aikido training, my Karate is combined with Daito-Ryu Aki jitsu, so alot of the time, it is him that gets thrown. I can tell you that he now has great respect for Karate.

Meanwhile another Judo or BJJ practicioner could have me on my back and squealing in pain before I knew what was going on.... there is no one unstoppable style, just individuals with calm minds that make their style work for them. A Judo man still has to get in close in order to throw you.... when he gets there, make him pay for it, it's really as simple as that. Try to understand what the Judo person is going to try to do, then you will be prepared to stifle it.

Know yourself and know your enemy and you will be victorious in a thousand battles.

Judo is a strong discipline, no doubt about that... but don't sell yourself short.... Karate isn't the joke that people may think it is..... they probably have a picture in their minds of Ralph Machismo doing ugly ugly kicks and washing cars, painting fences, doing crane kicks and drum techniques and figure, "WOW! Karate is some kind of Joke!" Let them think how they want. What they think has no impact on your training, on the development of your character, with your personal journey in the martial arts. For one martial artist to insult another martial art....well, maybe he or she just doesn't get it yet, and some people never get it. Some people learn to fight....Learn Karate and you will be able to win the battles in life that have nothing to do with punches, kicks, breaks and takedowns. Somewhere in my Katas, I get lost in them, and in losing myself inside the kata, I find myself....Maybe that doesn't make sense.... but anyway....

Whatever it is that you take away from your training, no one can take from you.....

They've tried that before, and we just learned how to use farming tools instead, LOL. :karate:

If you're reaching for the stars, don't be satisfied with touching the ceiling.

It's very hard to compare Judo and Karate..I have studied both and would say that overall from my experience there are more "tough" Judoka then karateka but I wouldn't say that Judo is a superior art, or would I say that about Karate.

I think the problem with Karate comes from it being watered down over the years. Without me really going on a long tangent about this just think to yourself of how many schools do you know where the average practitioner gets a black belt in 3 years...this never used to be the case with Karate.

For the same reasons is why many bjj practitioners scoff at many martial arts. The average bjj practitioner is a white belt for 2 years before blue belt. True, there are only blue, purple, brown, than black in bjj. You can count on being a purple for 3-4 years and a brown for another 3-4+ years. BJJ hasn't been watered down yet(at least not much)as Karate and other martial arts have been.

Before getting some people mad on here let me just say that I know that some Karate dojo still train hard, don't hand out belts...some. I'm sure all of you know of some dojo that has weak black belts. You don't see this as much in Judo, and certainly not in BJJ. I'm also more of a Karateka and a Thaiboxer more so then any other arts that I have studied.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

You will always encounter that. I'm sure there's a no-gi BJJ practicioner that is telling your Judo friend the same thing about her Judo. It's just the way of things, don't worry about it. Her beliefs in Shotokan or his belief in the superiority of Judo is irrelevant to you and your training. A huge part of Karate is the development of the character, not the muscles and fighting prowess, though that is also a part of it as well.

There is no one superior style. It doesn't exist. Don't limit your mind in the way that your Judo friend has.

Besides, my brother practices BJJ, and he cannot take me down. Now I'm not worried if he ever did as I have a strong background when it comes to ground fighting and he knows that but that's what he knows and he knows full well that he cannot stand with me, the strikes of a grappling art normally can't stand up to a striking art. But I help him with his training... with trying to take down a man that both doesn't want to go down, is hard to take down, and very dangerous on his feet. So I wear foot gear and gloves and he tries to take me down and he put me in a favourable position on the ground....and it stops when I get onto the ground, we get up and do it again.... well he very rarely takes me down. He can't get anywhere near me, and when he does manage to get into close range.... well Goju is geared around in-close combat, and even without using any of my other jujitsu and aikido training, my Karate is combined with Daito-Ryu Aki jitsu, so alot of the time, it is him that gets thrown. I can tell you that he now has great respect for Karate.

Meanwhile another Judo or BJJ practicioner could have me on my back and squealing in pain before I knew what was going on.... there is no one unstoppable style, just individuals with calm minds that make their style work for them. A Judo man still has to get in close in order to throw you.... when he gets there, make him pay for it, it's really as simple as that. Try to understand what the Judo person is going to try to do, then you will be prepared to stifle it.

Know yourself and know your enemy and you will be victorious in a thousand battles.

Judo is a strong discipline, no doubt about that... but don't sell yourself short.... Karate isn't the joke that people may think it is..... they probably have a picture in their minds of Ralph Machismo doing ugly ugly kicks and washing cars, painting fences, doing crane kicks and drum techniques and figure, "WOW! Karate is some kind of Joke!" Let them think how they want. What they think has no impact on your training, on the development of your character, with your personal journey in the martial arts. For one martial artist to insult another martial art....well, maybe he or she just doesn't get it yet, and some people never get it. Some people learn to fight....Learn Karate and you will be able to win the battles in life that have nothing to do with punches, kicks, breaks and takedowns. Somewhere in my Katas, I get lost in them, and in losing myself inside the kata, I find myself....Maybe that doesn't make sense.... but anyway....

Whatever it is that you take away from your training, no one can take from you.....

They've tried that before, and we just learned how to use farming tools instead, LOL. :karate:

very well said, I especially liked the part where you said there is no one dominate style because it is completely true.

It's very hard to compare Judo and Karate..I have studied both and would say that overall from my experience there are more "tough" Judoka then karateka but I wouldn't say that Judo is a superior art, or would I say that about Karate.

I think the problem with Karate comes from it being watered down over the years. Without me really going on a long tangent about this just think to yourself of how many schools do you know where the average practitioner gets a black belt in 3 years...this never used to be the case with Karate.

For the same reasons is why many bjj practitioners scoff at many martial arts. The average bjj practitioner is a white belt for 2 years before blue belt. True, there are only blue, purple, brown, than black in bjj. You can count on being a purple for 3-4 years and a brown for another 3-4+ years. BJJ hasn't been watered down yet(at least not much)as Karate and other martial arts have been.

Before getting some people mad on here let me just say that I know that some Karate dojo still train hard, don't hand out belts...some. I'm sure all of you know of some dojo that has weak black belts. You don't see this as much in Judo, and certainly not in BJJ. I'm also more of a Karateka and a Thaiboxer more so then any other arts that I have studied.

agreed.