• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

we did it

NightEagle

well tonight was a good night for my son and me, He got his Yellow belt after only taking Karate for 1 month and I got my Orange Belt doing it for the same amount of time, He would have done the same as me but was not allowed to double belt test like I did do to his age.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

that does seem very fast unless you have experience...When giving belt tests I have promoted someone to a higher rank because they had a background in a similar art. I think I once let someone test for kyu kyu after a month or two of training, though...her mother is a Sandan, so I'm sure her mother was helping her out.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I don't believe one month is short, of course, depending on what's required of you for the next belt, but usually it's just understanding the basics, maybe not being able to do them perfectly yet, but to have a rough idea.

I would say at least a month to go from white to the next belt, assumming the length of time to get each belt after that becomes longer.

btw, congrats on you and your son's promotion! :D

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

In most martial arts it takes at least 3 months to go to the next belt after white in a 10 belt system. Averaging five to six years to obtain shodan in a good karate dojo. I know of other dojo(unfortunately)where you can obtain your shodan in 2-3 years. I'm not talking about people that are "quick learners", I'm talking about the overall students.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

well tonight was a good night for my son and me, He got his Yellow belt after only taking Karate for 1 month and I got my Orange Belt doing it for the same amount of time, He would have done the same as me but was not allowed to double belt test like I did do to his age.

Well congrats. Like others said. One month sounds quick, but without knowing your background, how much you train, practice, and the standards of the dojo it's hard to comment.

I would suggest that if your dojo promotes you every month, then think twice about the quality of the training. Otherwise, enjoy and keep up the hard work.