• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting a second art

I am considering adding a second martial art, and I was wondering when in the training of a primary art is it "safe" to begin to study a second art? Obviously I don't want to confuse my body or brain, and I wouldn't want either art's technique to suffer.

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have done a lot of crosstraining and I have found it confusing when two arts are similar but with some differences. On the other hand, I have found it to be quite beneficial to train in arts that were completely different such as training in a stand up art and training in a grappling art at the same time or training in an art that focuses on punching and an art that focuses on kicking.

If you are considering a completely different style, it is okay to start but if you are thinking about training in a similar style, I would recommend that you wait untill you achieve your black belt in your first school.

What works works

Brady, how long have you been training? Some say wait till you get your BB to crosstrain. But I think two to three years in one art is good (to get good basics).

I also agree with pineapple. If you do a striking art, do grappling, or the other way around. This way, it won't be too confusing (I'm a striker, but crosstrain in Jujitsu).

Laurie F

I have done a lot of crosstraining and I have found it confusing when two arts are similar but with some differences. On the other hand, I have found it to be quite beneficial to train in arts that were completely different such as training in a stand up art and training in a grappling art at the same time or training in an art that focuses on punching and an art that focuses on kicking.

If you are considering a completely different style, it is okay to start but if you are thinking about training in a similar style, I would recommend that you wait untill you achieve your black belt in your first school.

Abosloutly correct!!!

My thoughts exactly!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.