• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think?

whatever you decide to do, just try and keep a "neutral" view towards the art and how it was practiced, and try not to make your new art something of your opinion per se. All im saying is just try to keep the arts and the respects of its grandmasters in mind when teaching.

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. okay so my friends and I were discussing, and they say that its a bad idea to try to create your own style of martial arts before you have a black belt. i disaggree, i think that no matter what belt you are,as long as you have the proper understanding of martial arts, then you should be able to. because in my dojo im a blue belt which is 3 away from black and i have been studying martial arts for several years and i also believe i am good enough to start studying my own style. what do you guys think?

Whats the name for your style, just interested. and remember, "A belt is just a piece of material, A brain is more than that"

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

No offense intended, but this is why they (the powers that be) are reluctant to give black belts to people our age (17).

The world is huge. The martial arts world is huge. There is no such thing as a new idea anymore, unless you've discovered some new way of fighting with your mind powers.

I've actually been working on something that follows this line so that I can put it up in my dojo. You said you are a blue belt, which I'm assuming means intermediate. The general gist of what I'm trying to phrase is a twist on that thing about the various grades in school:

Beginners know not, and know they know not, but do not know what they do not know.

Intermediates know not, but do not know they know not, and do not know what they do not know.

Brown belts know some, and have some knowledge of their knowledge, and have begun to grasp that which they do not know.

A true black belt knows he knows much but little, and knows he has barely even scratched the surface of that which he does not know.

So, basically - there's a whooooooooole lot else out there for you to learn. Make a new style when you're seventy, not seventeen.

as long as you have the proper understanding of martial arts

Show me a man who says he has a proper understanding of the martial arts, and I'll show you a man who needs to open his eyes.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Personally, I would never start my own discipline unless I saw something wrong with what I was currently/previously practicing. Or if I had a revelation that hasn't been commonly realized in todays Martial world (Like Bruce Lee had). Now don't get me wrong, I think everyone creates their own "style" after studing martial arts, or at least they should. But, ones style is different from ones discipline. Basically, I think it's a bad idea to just create a discipline seriously unless there's a good strong reason/philosophy behind it.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant