• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the purpose of the martial arts?

the purpose is to harmonize mind, body and spirit

THROUGH martial arts. martial arts is just a path to achieving this. once you have become proficient in the mastery of your art, and you are in total and harmonizing control of your mind , body and spirit, then it will be easy for you to be proficient in anything else in your life.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

the purpose is to harmonize mind, body and spirit

THROUGH martial arts. martial arts is just a path to achieving this. once you have become proficient in the mastery of your art, and you are in total and harmonizing control of your mind , body and spirit, then it will be easy for you to be proficient in anything else in your life.

I don't think that that is the goal of ALL martial arts, actually. I think that is the goal of the MA that were heavily influenced by some sort of religion - like shaolin. I don't think the pre-shaolin styles had that goal. There is no spiritual aspect to shuai chiao, for example. what about savate? pankration?

SevenStar said: I don't think that that is the goal of ALL martial arts, actually. I think that is the goal of the MA that were heavily influenced by some sort of religion - like shaolin. I don't think the pre-shaolin styles had that goal. There is no spiritual aspect to shuai chiao, for example. what about savate? pankration?

Your right that all MA's differ with respect to religion or spirituality. Pankration was acient Greek NHB fights, correct? Weren't the Greeks pretty religious? I guarantee Pankratic events had some sort of ceremony that involved the gods. So it is very likely they believed the Gods would somehow make them victorious just as in combat. Don't you think? I would say very few MA's started off with no religious aspects to it. If you are training warriors you have to give them a reason to die.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I train in the martial arts to

1. learn a good form of self defence (hopefully, I will never EVER have to use it)

2. Excercise my body and keep it healthy and in some kind of decent shape.

3. Meet new people and learn more about other cultures.

Hope this condensed list helps someone.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

maybe sevenstar is right about the spiritual aspect. i have studied shuai chiao, as well as other (quote) styles, that are particularly influenced by shaolin. which like sevenstar said, shaolin styles usually have some religious/spiritual training along with it.

though spirituality may not be one of the goals in some martial arts styles such as shuai chiao, or savate or whatever. i think you misunderstood me

because i know that it's not a main goal. my sifu never stressed spiritual beliefs to me, and he also made sure things of that nature were not brought up during training. however my point is that it doesn't mean that it couldn't be or shouldn't be a MA goal for ANY MA style.

I think the original poster is asking the wrong question. It's no longer a valid question to ask the purpose of martial arts. The term has too broad of a meaning.

I think the question should read:

"What purpose has martial arts in your life?"

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

• 7 months later...

One could be very literal and take the terminology apart:

Martial: derived from Mars, the Roman god of war, and meaning anything to do with fighting or combat.

Art: a higher quality of conception or execution.

So one could say that martial arts is fighting taken to a higher level, and one would be right. I personally think there's more to it than that.

The higher level stressed in m.a. training is improvement of the person, the training of mind and body equally. The major concepts taught are self-control and self-discipline. So one could say that martial arts training is learning how to not fight. And one would also be right.

The Martial Arts are not influenced by religion. Nor are the Martials about religion or spirituality.

Period.

However, the Martial Arts have been a vehicle for religion, since they are focused on the individual and their quest for harmony within themselves.

The Shaolin use the Martial Arts as a vessel, a tool or resource to help them get where they are going.

We need growth in the MA, and to say that there is religion involved will only scare people away.

I have my own family system.

I am Christian.

Does that mean what I teach will help my children reach some form of closure with our Christian God.

No.

Does it mean they will understand their own body, their mind, and their limitations, and be able to push themselves physically, and demand more from themselves, and work toward being the best in those situations where conflict arises.

I certainly hope so.

-----------------------------------

SMR makes a good point.

----------------------------------

:)

Just some thoughts on this...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...