• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been out of Karate for a while now....

Kholdstare2010

I have been out of Karate for a while, and I would like to see if the members of this forum could refresh my memory because I don't remember alot about it. I made it to red belt before United Karate (the place that I studied at) had to close. Pretty much all that I remember are front and back punches, front and back kicks, sidekicks, most of Bo and very little of Tonfa use. Could someone please help me re-learn/refresh my memory on what I forgot?

P.S. I know I don't remember a lot and if

you could just give me some basic things

that I have forgotten it would really help. I

also studied for about 7 years if that helps at all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest, it was so long ago that I don't remember... I was probally only about 7 years old when I had to quit. I worked hard though and I understood what I was doing, I wasn't like some of the kids who do it and just think they will be like Jackie Chan or something like that. I am 14 now, so it has been 7 years since I have had any formal training under a sensai. I know that I didn't really answer your question, but I have no idea. I can tell you the belt order if it helps at all. For our dojo it went White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Purple, Blue, Red, Red w/black stripe, Brown, Brown w/black stripe, and then finally Black.

I'm confused, you quit when you were 7 but also studied "for about 7 years"? These statements kind of contradict eachother. How long did you really study for?

Well, it really depends on the style you studied what "refreshing" you would need. In terms of kata, stances, movement, kumite, kobudo, kihon, etc.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Your right well let me think about it for a while...Hm...I know I started when I was 4 but I did study for at LEAST 5 years...so then I must have quit when I was 9...Sorry about the mix up, this is the stuff my parents told me and I didn't really think about it. So lets go with that I studied for 5 years and that I quit when I was 9. I probally should have thought about what I was posting before I did it, sorry for the mix up :blush: . So that means that I started in '95 and had to quit in '00. The last trophie I have was from '99 for my blue belt form from the Northwest Karate Expo.

I really don't remember anything and I have decided that I am going to quit boxing and go back to Karate. Boxing is to easy, I don't really learn anything new, I just build muscles. What do you guys think I should look for when I pick out a new Dojo, and what style do you think I should study?

P.S. I was born in '91 and I'm 14 now.

If you really do not remeber the style you studied, you can pretty much call it a clean slate....Find a good dojo and begin a style that you like. Most (not all of course) styles have similar kihon---punches,kicks,blocks and other strikes. You will be learning them in a new way from a new sensei that's all.

Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I recommend tedious practice of stances. In all ways, work on your stances and your techniques(with much practice also) will get the body connection needed. This will also help in every other aspect.

P.S.- I think your status on boxing being to easy is a little mixed up.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 3 months later...

If you trained for as long as you suggest, things will start to come back once you train again, provided you take a martial art that is similar to the one you originally took. I wouldn't get your heart set on retaining that blue belt.

Your boxing training will be different than the karate training, as well.

My best suggestion would be to check out the martial arts clubs in your area, try out some classes, and see if anything is to your liking.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to 'recover ' the information you've lost, or how you used to do things, as there will be different subtleties that each teacher will bring to your martial arts training. Just go with the flow, and keep an open mind.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Based on the length of time and what you remember, as others have said or suggested, you need to start from square one. Start with the basics. The only way you can do this, IMHO, is to, as other have suggested, is to find a school that you like and begin again. Good luck in your search and your eventual path

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I was in the same boat, I left my training for a few years and came back to it. The muscle memory was still there and it took about 90 days for me to get back "into the groove".

Good luck, and have fun.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu