• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Planning to Start Shotokan

Jacob

You'd be silly not to take up Shotokan... It is a good style; teaches you Self-defence (like any other art, but teaches you how to move out of line of attack, very handy) the kata's are great to learn, you leanr the use of Bunkai... And if you are sporty like (unlike me! :D) then Kumite is good for you...

In the end though; it is your choice... You are going to be the one doing the style, not me. Happy thinking! :D

Have a look at this site, clikc on kata's;

http://www.lelandvandervort.info/ma/index.php?doc=3

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first book I would recommend is Karate-do Kyohan by Funakoshi Gichin. This is pretty much the original Shotokan textbook (unless you are lucky enough to be able to get hold of one of his earlier works).

I do not practice Shotokan and I have this book. I found it to be one excellent text. I would recommend it not only to those who are studying Shotokan but other styles as well. If you have a MA library this book should be in there

Welcome and good luck.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Hi There,

Welcome to KF and to Shotokan. Shotokan is a great style, particularly to start your Martial Arts journey with.

The funakoshi book isn't bad. Personally, the best books I have found for Shotokan are those written by Keinosuke Eneoda.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

i too dropped out of tkd a few years back at the rank of blue belt,and too plan 2 study shotokan im just waiting for the first class 2 begin.

victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself -shinkage school of swordsmanship

Hi Jacob :wave: and welcome! I had trained in Shotokan under Sensei Kenneth Funakoshi.

Wow, that is awesome! Welcome Jacob!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I my self came from another style. I started in 5 kung-fu (5 Animals Shaolin).

Honestly I love Shotokan. But it is always a good move to try before you get into it.

As for DVD's not much yet. Books anything by GF is a good read. After all he is the father Shotokan. But the true lessons are in the dojo.

"No matter how you may excel in the art of Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi