• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Advice for Newbie

Spirit At Choice

You're welcome ! Let me know if you find any other good ones :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that there is some great advice here. Try to relax at the tournament and just do your best. I am guessing that because you are doing Heian I that you are possibly white - orange belt range. Just some advice, I recently judged a tournament. I judged white belts all the way up to and through black belts. Nobody is going to ask you BunKai. At yellow belt level, the judges arent going to necessarily judge you as hard as they may a brown level or black belt level competitor. Try to keep low in your stances, breath, be confident, and have fun and you will do great! I wouldn't at this level be too focused on making sure I landed my kata at exactly the same point I started. I checked Brown belts and black belts for that, but not white - green belt.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

All I can really say is just have fun with whatever you do. Don't focus soly on wining because if you don't then it makes for a bad ride home. No matter what happens just make sure you ahve some fun while you are there!

Genetics is the study of which parents family is to blame for a teenagers behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

All the things mentioned already I also look at. But to answer your question in a good solid kata you can see the fight between to people as long has all the movements are done properly and with power and focus. Experienced black belts will recognize this and should use this as criteria. Unfortunetly it doesn't always happen. Just go out and do your best.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do