• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting other styles

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Concentrate on what you CAN do, rather than thinking "well, they might do this, so I shoud do that". Keep your guard and keep your cool.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The best advice is to focus only on what you are doing, and not lettting your opponent take control of the match or make you frustrated.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

• 3 weeks later...

observe patterns, and intercept/follow up.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Look at some of the videos on Maslinc.com...this is a valuable resource for homework.

In the pointfighting world, the best don't fight with a particular style ie: Taekwondo, Okinawin . Instead they develope blitzes, dynamic kicks, reverse punches and always move.

The stand up straight style with no movement you see in alot of schools will not work with the better fighters.

In my experience at tournaments, the TKD practitioners love to spar. This is their thing! The are fast and kick high. Learn to get in there fast and score quickly. Block your head and counter every chance you get, then move out of their kicking range fast.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Learn to fight like them. I've had tons of people ask me, "Did you take: Tae Kwan Do, Tiger Kung Fu, Shotokan," because those are the styles with which I've fought the most. My first two TKD tourneys, I ended up with third, because most of the time, I was watching them and learning their moves. My third, I opened up with a 5-0 victory (technically a 6-0, I suppose) - all my hits spinning kicks to the head. I sat down next to a TKD guy I had fought before and he said, "Where the **** did you learn that?"

My answer - "You."

I won that tourney. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I have to agree that watching others and the way in which they fight can be very helpfull, but why not find the way that you are good at sparring, develop your own unique moves! therfore nobody will see what you have coming!! Everybody has some sort of move that they consider themselves to be good at, so if you have one work on it and develop it and then have loads of fun trying it out (",)

"a one sided martial artist, is a blind martial artist"