• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

money money money

I'm a believer in the individual as well. Good Post

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being a self motivator in the MA is a plus. But it is nice to have a dojo with an awesome instructor and fellow students who also motivate. It is a family like atmosphere at our dojo and everyone wants to see each other do well.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 1 month later...

I would like to point out that there are other bad MA schools out there aside from TKD schools. The problem with the ATA is that the organization has franchised, making ATA schools like McDonald's stores. Sometimes, you eat at a bad restaurant. The ATA is like this, because it is so large. When I was in, I had great instructors, and they all were very technical and strict about being prepared of a test.

My current instructor has a saying: There are no bad martial arts, just bad instructors.

Fees are a separate topic from handing out belts. How much a school charges has nothing to do with the quality of instruction. Life is about choices. Pay a high fee or don't.

Giving out belts means that you will not really know how good you are. You can try your best, but what is the gauge of your success?

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

• 3 weeks later...
If your martial arts academy or facility charges a lot and they basicall hand out belts .....!

If they "hand out belts" as you just stated, then it is a bad style or school.

bat

I'd say bad school and agree with you. Schools that hand out belts hurt the martial arts, no matter what style it is.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I think we should clear something up. Its not that handing out belts is a bad thing because everyone progresses at their own level. What most on this board are against, I think, is the false pretense that someone of a high rank is a good martial artist. I have met people that train for a year in my system and progress fast and there are some that have been in for just as long who have only earned a yellow sash(our first belt). I think if you can apply what you learned correctly than you deserve your rank.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

yes, but if you can apply what you learn you weren't just handed your belt. You deserved it. I think most of us are against schools that grant 2nd rank at 3 months, 3rd at 6 months, 4th at a year...etc. regardless of the competence of the student.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo