• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

side thrust kick

shotokanbeginner

Also practice really SLOOOOOOOW kicks. Kicking slowly is good for all the kicks but I think especially for side thrust. This helps you build up the muscles but also to feel where your balance is going off.

Yeah I do, do that but not as much as I should I will definately work harder on that

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ahhh my most recent victory, side thrust kick.

I also had difficulty in completling this technque. What helped me was agrravating tedious practice with my sensei showing me how to practice it without develpoing bad habits. One tip would be to start off aiming your kick low to the ground and dont try to go for the face or anything. Ask your sensei, and then practice and practice.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I know this really hasnothing to do with what we're saying but what kyu or dan level are you?

I'm currently 1st kyu.

wow your miles ahead of me, hopefully I will reach that level soon. how many times have you done Bassai? I just started kearning it and I find it to be a really different nice kata, but also very difficult.

There are several ways of practicing yoko kekomi, one of the biggest mistakes I see recurring is people letting the foot swing around, like a bad mawashi geri. The main reason for this is that they are bringing the foot up to the bottom when chambering instead of knee up in front with the foot below the knee. The secondary reason is people failing to realise the part the supporting foot is playing in the thrust. The problem arises as soon as you try and hit anything with any substance as the little toe will connect first, and you will most likely really hurt yourself. There are some ways to practice the kick.

a) Find a chair with a back and stand in front of it, as you do the kick (i.e. after you have pivoted sideways on) the back of the chair has to be to your back, so that if the knee/foot is not chambered properly you will kick the back of the chair, and instead you have a straight runway to go down. If you are feeling brave, and have a brave partner you could do this to the side of them so that if you come round you kick your partner (it's their turn next :lol: )

b) Grab a partner stand sideways to each other, grab their hand at shoulder height, at full arm extention and using their support slowly practice the kick to their side, just a little touch, above belt height. Your partner should give you feedback on how the kick feels/looks. You can use their support to ensure that you don't lean, and to work on the pivot of the back foot (the back foot should turn to almost the opposite way of the kick).

c) Find a brick wall and gently kick it using kekomi - you'll soon know if you are leading with your little toe!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

There are several ways of practicing yoko kekomi, one of the biggest mistakes I see recurring is people letting the foot swing around, like a bad mawashi geri. The main reason for this is that they are bringing the foot up to the bottom when chambering instead of knee up in front with the foot below the knee. The secondary reason is people failing to realise the part the supporting foot is playing in the thrust. The problem arises as soon as you try and hit anything with any substance as the little toe will connect first, and you will most likely really hurt yourself. There are some ways to practice the kick.

a) Find a chair with a back and stand in front of it, as you do the kick (i.e. after you have pivoted sideways on) the back of the chair has to be to your back, so that if the knee/foot is not chambered properly you will kick the back of the chair, and instead you have a straight runway to go down. If you are feeling brave, and have a brave partner you could do this to the side of them so that if you come round you kick your partner (it's their turn next :lol: )

b) Grab a partner stand sideways to each other, grab their hand at shoulder height, at full arm extention and using their support slowly practice the kick to their side, just a little touch, above belt height. Your partner should give you feedback on how the kick feels/looks. You can use their support to ensure that you don't lean, and to work on the pivot of the back foot (the back foot should turn to almost the opposite way of the kick).

c) Find a brick wall and gently kick it using kekomi - you'll soon know if you are leading with your little toe!

These are all really great ideas that I must try, how did you ever find out about such away to practice it sounds very effective?

I also had difficulty in completling this technque. What helped me was agrravating tedious practice with my sensei showing me how to practice it without develpoing bad habits. One tip would be to start off aiming your kick low to the ground and dont try to go for the face or anything. Ask your sensei, and then practice and practice.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I know this really hasnothing to do with what we're saying but what kyu or dan level are you?

I'm currently 1st kyu.

wow your miles ahead of me, hopefully I will reach that level soon. how many times have you done Bassai? I just started kearning it and I find it to be a really different nice kata, but also very difficult.

Ummm wow....how many times?....

I'd say ALOT, I dont count but it would be ALOT of times. I do Bassai 10 times a night minimum, slowly working out small stuff now. Then another 5 minimum, going full force. Yea Bassai I find requires a strong amount of stance work to look even half decent.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I'm currently 1st kyu.

Ummm wow....how many times?....

I'd say ALOT, I dont count but it would be ALOT of times. I do Bassai 10 times a night minimum, slowly working out small stuff now. Then another 5 minimum, going full force. Yea Bassai I find requires a strong amount of stance work to look even half decent.

I've been keeping a log of how many times I have done bassai, but so far I haven't done too many. I completely agree Bassai really requires a strong amount of stance and a willingness to work hard at it.

These are all really great ideas that I must try, how did you ever find out about such away to practice it sounds very effective?

Training, instructing and learning from my own sensei as I have developed. One of the most interesting things about instructing is the time to step back and watch other people - it's amazing how often the same old errors pop up. I also find it fascinating how easy it is to spot an error, even if there are a few people training, it just seems to stcik out from the crowd.

I think it's a good idea for everyone to get the opportunity to step out of the mass at some point and just watch what's going on.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum