• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

side thrust kick

shotokanbeginner

My side thrust kick needs some improvement and I need some tips on how to do that, I'm not super terrible at it but I feel that in all the kicks I know, that one is giving me the most trouble. I think one of my main problems is not putting my weight into it proper;y and not haveing the correct thrusting motion, what should I do? What other tips can you give me to help improve?

p.s. I am sorry about the rudeness of my last post and also wanted to say I have never been in a real life combat situation and hope never to have to be in one. thanks to killer for bringing this to my attention :)

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My side thrust kick needs some improvement and I need some tips on how to do that, I'm not super terrible at it but I feel that in all the kicks I know, that one is giving me the most trouble. I think one of my main problems is not putting my weight into it proper;y and not haveing the correct thrusting motion, what should I do? What other tips can you give me to help improve?

p.s. I am sorry about the rudeness of my last post and also wanted to say I have never been in a real life combat situation and hope never to have to be in one. thanks to killer for bringing this to my attention :)

Ahhh my most recent victory, side thrust kick.

I also had difficulty in completling this technque. What helped me was agrravating tedious practice with my sensei showing me how to practice it without develpoing bad habits. One tip would be to start off aiming your kick low to the ground and dont try to go for the face or anything. Ask your sensei, and then practice and practice.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I also had difficulty in completling this technque. What helped me was agrravating tedious practice with my sensei showing me how to practice it without develpoing bad habits. One tip would be to start off aiming your kick low to the ground and dont try to go for the face or anything. Ask your sensei, and then practice and practice.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I know this really hasnothing to do with what we're saying but what kyu or dan level are you?

No need to apologize, your questions are good and valid and still warrant asking - there are no bad questions here...

As far as your thrust kick, can you describe exactly what problem you are having? It would be difficult to diagnose you problem without knowing this. I could guess, but it would be in generalities. Example; Off balance, no power or speed, etc...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

No need to apologize, your questions are good and valid and still warrant asking - there are no bad questions here...

As far as your thrust kick, can you describe exactly what problem you are having? It would be difficult to diagnose you problem without knowing this. I could guess, but it would be in generalities. Example; Off balance, no power or speed, etc...

- Killer -

well I beleive my main problem is generating enough power through it, I don't no what it is, but something is restricting my power in the way I kick. I have a guess of my own and it maybe because I'm leaning to far back when I do it so my energy is lost that way, but I'm not quite sure

I was kind of suspecting that you was going to say what you just said.

A couple of common mistakes made early on when learning Side thrust kick is the leaning back, or being too close to your target.

-Don't lean - keep body straight.

-Get that knee coiled up befor kicking - many already have the foot out and that's why you have a tendancy to lean if for balance.

-Thrust out with the lower diaphragm in one smooth relaxed motion and don't tense until the last moment of extension - kime or focus.

-Your foot should only extend into the target as much as needed for the desired result - 2 to 6 inches let say. Idea is to go "through" your oponent in a relaxed mannor, then kime at your focal point only.

-Supporting leg MUST BE BENT over you supporting leg toe (not past, but just to the edge) - this will provide a stable stance and prevent you from leaning back naturally without much thought.

These pointers should be a good place to start.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

A couple of common mistakes made early on when learning Side thrust kick is the leaning back, or being too close to your target.

-Get that knee coiled up befor kicking - many already have the foot out and that's why you have a tendancy to lean if for balance.

-Thrust out with the lower diaphragm in one smooth relaxed motion and don't tense until the last moment of extension - kime or focus.

-Your foot should only extend into the target as much as needed for the desired result - 2 to 6 inches let say. Idea is to go "through" your oponent in a relaxed mannor, then kime at your focal point only.

-Supporting leg MUST BE BENT over you supporting leg toe (not past, but just to the edge) - this will provide a stable stance and prevent you from leaning back naturally without much thought.

- Killer -

all extremely helpful, thank you muchly

- Killer -

These are all good suggestions. Also practice really SLOOOOOOOW kicks. Kicking slowly is good for all the kicks but I think especially for side thrust. This helps you build up the muscles but also to feel where your balance is going off.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I know this really hasnothing to do with what we're saying but what kyu or dan level are you?

I'm currently 1st kyu.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

People seem to have a lot of problems with power and the side thrust. I have by no means perfected the kick but something that a black belt in my class told me was that my hip was not "getting in" to the kick. She told me to kick while trying to point the toes down some(not all the way, that would be hard on the knee)...this automatically engages the hip power that you need for a strong side thrust. I found that this has helped me. Hopefully, it will help you too.