• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan

shotokanbeginner

I don't do other styles but from what I've seen Shotokan, Wado, Shito and Goju all seem to me to look almost exactly the same when you see them in kumite in tournaments. Maybe the Goju guys are a little higher in their stance. I think they are probably better at the close-in fighting and the other 3 styles are probably better at long-range. But otherwise I think they are pretty close to the same.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shotokan vs "full-contact" karate debate occurs in this forum all the time in one version or another. An example of one version is the "point-sparring" vs "knockdown" tournament rules debate as to which one is more realistic or better. Fortunately, I can comment based on first-hand observation rather than conjecture.

I attended a full-contact, knockdown rules tournament last month. It was sponsored by Enshin, and like most Enshin tournaments (Sabaki challenges), it allowed anyone to enter who could show that they were advanced enough in their technique to be competitive. One of the entrants in the advanced (black-belt) divisions was from a local Shotokan school. He didn't win his match against an opponent from a full-contact style, but he representated himself well and was competitive in his match.

Whatever his reasons were for entering, I hope and believe his experience was valuable and rewarding for him. Of course, as others have said in this thread, learning karate isn't just learning to fight or compete. However, I think it can be a valuable element in the learning process for many.

i believe shotokan is a very effective style im also lucky enough so i never had to use it :P

I agree, I have luckily never had to use it either and hopefully never will.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

I don't do other styles but from what I've seen Shotokan, Wado, Shito and Goju all seem to me to look almost exactly the same when you see them in kumite in tournaments. Maybe the Goju guys are a little higher in their stance. I think they are probably better at the close-in fighting and the other 3 styles are probably better at long-range. But otherwise I think they are pretty close to the same.

I would have to agree with youn that.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

I've used Shotokan effectively in non-training situations, and yes it's very effective. However, one of the things you learn in Shotokan is how to recognize a developing situation and be able to avoid it or subdue it before it elavates into a confrontation. Shotokan is an art, a beleif and a way of life. It's not intended to go out and kick some you know what...

If you want to know if I understand body mechanics? Yes, very well. Am I proficient at Shotokan? Yes I am. Am I a dangerous person if the situation warrants it? Yes I am. Do I take it to prove to someone how tough of a person I am? No I don't. Do I feel that I can take on anyone? I could care less...

These are the reasons why I feel this question is an unfair question to ask a Shotokan practitioner. This is who we are and what we are truly about and it really disappoints us to see others with the perspective that we do this to win trophies or to beat some faces in. We don't believe in this or practice this, however, we are very good at what we do. We need to be respected for that alone and that only.

- Killer -

Excellent post killer,I coulden't have said it any better !

never give up !

Hi,

I think beginner's question is a fair one. The practicioner DOES make the art, however the teacher and the style do, too. A sensei I met used a saying i really liked: "Practice doesnt make perfect. Practice makes permanent". So one needs to be taught the right stuff in order to be able to perfect it through dedication and willpower.

I have been forced to use a Shotokan technique a few years ago to defend myself against multiple oponents in a very stupid neighborhood fight over a parking space that I really tried to avoid, even by surrendering the parking space and when that didnt work just by runnning away, but they were faster than me. These dudes wanted to kick some *.

Anyway, my techniques were SO effective that they scared me. My attackers really got badly injured and I got close to going to jail for assault. Thankfully, there were witnesses that I was just defending myself.. Fighting sucks. I never want it to hapen again. I was very happy to have escaped the beating my attackers wanted to administer, though.

anyway, my two cents,

Gero

--

Nidan Traditional Shotokan

Hi,

I think beginner's question is a fair one. The practicioner DOES make the art, however the teacher and the style do, too. A sensei I met used a saying i really liked: "Practice doesnt make perfect. Practice makes permanent". So one needs to be taught the right stuff in order to be able to perfect it through dedication and willpower.

I have been forced to use a Shotokan technique a few years ago to defend myself against multiple oponents in a very stupid neighborhood fight over a parking space that I really tried to avoid, even by surrendering the parking space and when that didnt work just by runnning away, but they were faster than me. These dudes wanted to kick some *.

Anyway, my techniques were SO effective that they scared me. My attackers really got badly injured and I got close to going to jail for assault. Thankfully, there were witnesses that I was just defending myself.. Fighting sucks. I never want it to hapen again. I was very happy to have escaped the beating my attackers wanted to administer, though.

anyway, my two cents,

Gero

Good post. Real life stories showing that traditional karate (and kung fu for that matter) techniques work in real fights, have to be told once in a while to stress the fact that we do not practise "dance fighting" and that what we practise are martial arts.

By the way Gero, what rank were you when you had this experience?

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".