• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan

shotokanbeginner

For all those shotokan practitioners and even to those who aren't, why is it that shotokan is thought of as a tournament sty;e of martial art? Have any of you ever been in a real life combat situation, and was shotokan an effective style at that time? Iknow in a sense it is kind of dumb to be asking if shotokan is an effective style, because my belief is that it is not the style that is ever lacking in effectiveness, it is the practitioner who decides wether it is effective by their ability to apply their style into combat, but I enjoy hearing others veiws and sometimes conflicting ideas.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Shotokan effectively in non-training situations, and yes it's very effective. However, one of the things you learn in Shotokan is how to recognize a developing situation and be able to avoid it or subdue it before it elavates into a confrontation. Shotokan is an art, a beleif and a way of life. It's not intended to go out and kick some you know what...

If you want to know if I understand body mechanics? Yes, very well. Am I proficient at Shotokan? Yes I am. Am I a dangerous person if the situation warrants it? Yes I am. Do I take it to prove to someone how tough of a person I am? No I don't. Do I feel that I can take on anyone? I could care less...

These are the reasons why I feel this question is an unfair question to ask a Shotokan practitioner. This is who we are and what we are truly about and it really disappoints us to see others with the perspective that we do this to win trophies or to beat some faces in. We don't believe in this or practice this, however, we are very good at what we do. We need to be respected for that alone and that only.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

For all those shotokan practitioners and even to those who aren't, why is it that shotokan is thought of as a tournament sty;e of martial art? Have any of you ever been in a real life combat situation, and was shotokan an effective style at that time? Iknow in a sense it is kind of dumb to be asking if shotokan is an effective style, because my belief is that it is not the style that is ever lacking in effectiveness, it is the practitioner who decides wether it is effective by their ability to apply their style into combat, but I enjoy hearing others veiws and sometimes conflicting ideas.

I must agree with Killer's post(not in the way of agaisnt your post..if its taken that way...), except I'd like to add my own say.

-PLENTY of topics like this, they arnt difficult to locate...

I dont see shotokan as a tournament martial art because our club isnt...

Yes, I have been a few real life situations where shotokan was so completly EFFECTIVE, I really started to question my whole philosphy on life. I then trained everyday. Shotokan is effective with the right tools and guidance.

Now to add some depth...

Shotokan is seen as a tournament/sport martial art often because of the Chain of Size idea...Shotokan I beleive is the most popular style of Karate. Every sytem has mcdojos, the more real clubs and people, the more mcdojos. People only see the mcdojos and doubt its effectiveness. Now many exellent dojos concentrate on sparring, I visit one every once in awhile, however mcdojos like to also "infect" (if you will) the philosphy of sparring more than others(I think).

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I've used Shotokan effectively in non-training situations, and yes it's very effective. However, one of the things you learn in Shotokan is how to recognize a developing situation and be able to avoid it or subdue it before it elavates into a confrontation. Shotokan is an art, a beleif and a way of life. It's not intended to go out and kick some you know what...

If you want to know if I understand body mechanics? Yes, very well. Am I proficient at Shotokan? Yes I am. Am I a dangerous person if the situation warrants it? Yes I am. Do I take it to prove to someone how tough of a person I am? No I don't. Do I feel that I can take on anyone? I could care less...

These are the reasons why I feel this question is an unfair question to ask a Shotokan practitioner. This is who we are and what we are truly about and it really disappoints us to see others with the perspective that we do this to win trophies or to beat some faces in. We don't believe in this or practice this, however, we are very good at what we do. We need to be respected for that alone and that only.

- Killer -

I too am a shotokan pracitioner and am sorry that I made it sound that wa, it was not my intention to say it like that. I agree with you whole heartedly on shotokan being an art that teaches students to try and avoid fights, and also completely agree with you on how annoying it can be when they take shotokan in such a way that makes it sounds like violent or strictly tournament fighters, I haven't ever been in a tournament. This forum was simply to hear what others think and why, because I want to know where they got these ideas from. I am so sorry it was in no way meant to be a rude forum

very sorry, your forgiveness for my idiocy

I must agree with Killer's post, except I'd like to add my own say.

-PLENTY of topics like this, they arnt difficult to locate...

I dont see shotokan as a tournament martial art because our club isnt...

Yes, I have been a few real life situations where shotokan was so completly EFFECTIVE, I really started to question my whole philosphy on life. I then trained everyday. Shotokan is effective with the right tools and guidance.

Now to add some depth...

Shotokan is seen as a tournament/sport martial art often because of the Chain of Size idea...Shotokan I beleive is the most popular style of Karate. Every sytem has mcdojos, the more real clubs and people, the more mcdojos. People only see the mcdojos and doubt its effectiveness. Now many exellent dojos concentrate on sparring, I visit one every once in awhile, however mcdojos like to also "infect" (if you will) the philosphy of sparring more than others(I think).

Thanks for some answers and please excuse my rudeness, I totally didn't realize how it could sound bad. I agree with killer too, he is completely right. thanks for taking the time to comment

Well one thing I dont agree with Killer is that certain questions maybe unfair to answer or unfair to ask.

My view:

Better to have someone ask a question and have it cleared up, rather than nobody ask a question and have everyone not learn. Others who do not post these types of questions may not learn these ideals. Everyone starts somewhere. This is well known and just was probably not covered, so the weight of these posts is still strong.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

No one was offended for you posting this question, nor are the responses meant to be directed to you. Maybe a little considering you are evidently a beginner. Our passion is basically years of these types of questions being asked, and commonly the discussion leads as to which style is tougher that one or another. So I wanted to state who we are first off so we don't have to get into a discussion of defending whom we are.

But no offence taken nor were we the slightest bit offended, just making a statement.

Thanks for the post,

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Menjo, It probably looked like I was getting on his case, but not really. He is a Shotokan brethren in my book, even though he's a beginner and I felt the question was fine to ask. I could have probably worded it better. My response was mainly made for those whom are not Shotokan practitioners and would be mis-lead by the question in regards to who and what we really are. So this was the true basis for the response and was still a "good conversation" as we've heard in a movie... :)

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

No one was offended for you posting this question, nor are the responses meant to be directed to you. Maybe a little considering you are evidently a beginner. Our passion is basically years of these types of questions being asked, and commonly the discussion leads as to which style is tougher that one or another. So I wanted to state who we are first off so we don't have to get into a discussion of defending whom we are.

But no offence taken nor were we the slightest bit offended, just making a statement.

Thanks for the post,

- Killer -

I'm so glad I didn't offend you. I'm glad you were able to show who we were also because I kind of left that out. Oh and as too the discussion that may have arisen about which style was better, I tried to avoid that by putting that I thought that no style is the best, it is up to the practitioner to make their style effective.