KK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also attend a club that wear white tops and bottoms, I just used that as an example.

Some clubs in the UK wear mixed, some don't, I even read that a Karateka wore a full red suit.

One of the Senseis that used to teach me wore a full red suit, his son wore a full black and the rest of the students and other Senseis wore full white.

Oh, interesting...

Yeah I know, and because I was sooo young at the time I thought it was maybe because he was a higher grade than the rest of the other Senseis who wore white, but in actual fact he was the same grade as the the head instructor. Sounds crazy......

Also I went onto the martial arts supplies site and I have tried to place an order however, it doesn't look as if they post to the UK - Scotland, however, I have e-mailed them so here's hoping.

I came up the traditional ladder in Hayashi ha Shito ryu kai..wearing nothing but white and to some degree I'm traditional but I don't think I can be "kind of traditional" either. So I could care less about the color of the gi now as long as it's not some obnoxious looking gi with a bunch of flames or something.

In a gi I care more about if it's sturdy enough to last through training and worth my $. I own blue, white, and black gis now...I don't know what happened to my red one(this was over ten years ago)but it was a well made gi.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I came up the traditional ladder in Hayashi ha Shito ryu kai..wearing nothing but white and to some degree I'm traditional but I don't think I can be "kind of traditional" either. So I could care less about the color of the gi now as long as it's not some obnoxious looking gi with a bunch of flames or something.

In a gi I care more about if it's sturdy enough to last through training and worth my $. I own blue, white, and black gis now...I don't know what happened to my red one(this was over ten years ago)but it was a well made gi.

Yea, agreed. What I like about the gi I got somewhat recently is that its heavier so it provides a much harder work out, in all aspects.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Yeah, where I train/teach now the majority of practitioners wear a 6 ounce gi(if that). Since we're now affiliated with gracie-barra(bjj) the students that are now doing bjj are going to have to get bjj uniforms. Any of you that have ever done bjj with the gi know why...those light weight gis will literally get ripped. I've even seen this happen in a Sabaki tourny I competed in...an individual had a light gi and when his opponent went to grab his gi his gi ripped.

The heavier gis literally last years and you sweat a loooooooooooooot more, so it's a good work out, heh.

I must admit I own one of the "weiner" lightweight gis but I haven't worn it in a very long time.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Hello.

I don't like the stripes, although if you are a sensei it can be interesting as a point of distintion from your students...I mean, wearing a black pants or jacket, or stripes karategi can be a way to make clear who is the master.

Letting the stripes apart, I must say that Adidas makes, from my point of view, the best karategis I have ever seen. I refer specially to the Champion Gi if you practise Kata. It is a very comfortable karategi which is hard enough to show the best shape of your technique during all the competition.

I bought one three years ago and I keep it only for competitions. Now Adidas Karategis can't be bought here, in Spain, and last week I had to bought one from another brand, but I don't like it too much. It is also special for katas, but it's clothes are too light and weak (it's a Tagoya).

When I was very young I briefly trained at a club that had red gi's with white stripes down the edges. I used to train there with my Dad, but he made us both leave after a while, he became convinced the only purpose of the club was to sell the uniforms.

So maybe that is why I'm biased against coloured uniforms. Never been too impressed by badges etc either really, it's martial arts, not scouts! lol

shotokan all the way, baby

Hello... I was the guy who replied "why do wear black belt...." etc.

I think some of you misunderstood my post.

I was replying to the person who said "WHY?".

He was questioning your motives for wanting the gi, and I was saying that it didn't matter what you needed it for, that you wanted it.

People can wear whatever uniforms you want, is the point of my post there. I was saying that I doubt long ago that people cared if you learned wearing a gi, a loincloth, shorts and a shirt, or a gi with stripes, if they existed.

all the best,

Tom