• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So what are the main differences between the two? I'm really curious now, as it seems that Muay Thai is much more brutal than Kickboxing...

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First.. kickboxing was developed as a competition platform for karate practioners to fight full contact in the ring. Muay Thai is a martial art on it's own and the competition was developed as a way to safely test their skills. There is more to Muay Thai than what is in the ring.

Also, if you look at rules, in kickboxing there are no elbows, knees, clinchin and kicks below the waist. These are all legal in Muay Thai (headbutts used to be until recent).

If you look at fighting stances, kickboxers tend to be more sideways, like boxers. Muay Thai practioners stand more square inviting the opponent to come into the middle.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Yeah, I kinda thought those were the main differences, thanks Ken - as far as the square stance though, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean - we're always told to make sure that our hips are squared, facing forward. Also, when you're sparring, do you wear protective gear? I can't imagine getting an elbow or a knee without protection... :eek:

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Of course we wear protective gear when sparring. When they actually compete though, the only protective gear is a cup, mouthpiece and boxing gloves. I guess you stand a little like Muay Thai with your hips facing forward.

Kickboxing stances vary alot since it is a competition that many different types of martial arts have taken to. Muay Thai stances don't vary all that much.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

The Muay Thai stance help with the unique roundhouse doesn't it? I tried to do the MT roundhouse from kumite stance and it was impossible... I have to stand upright and square otherwise my whole style is rooted!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

oh yea, you need to square up the hips before throwing an effective Muay Thai round kick, otherwise you will throw all your power to the wind. Also, the more square stance lets you use all of your weapons more readily than just the lead side weapons.

That's why i don't like the kumite stance. That and it's guard is standardised WAYYYYYYYYY too low...

OH yea, I like my head and face, so i keep my hand up high to protect it, while at the same time my elbows are down and in to protect my body.

That's the trouble with a lot of the karate guys, they don't realise until later that they can use their legs to block as well! I do karate now and they come in with these weak roundhouses that i just smack away like a fly, then it's just a matter of throwing them off balance...

it's harder to block a Thai style kick with your legs in a "karate" stance because to do it properly, your shin bone needs to meet theirs, which means you'll need to place your foot out at a 45-degree angle from your centerline. If you just raise your leg on centerline, the kick will turn you and place you off-balance.